TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

I started having contractions and menstrual cramping at now 25 weeks pregnant...they could not find the source until they did a urinary culture and found a Urinary tract infection. I can now feel the pain and burning travelling to my back torward my kidneys, not to mention I'm in the bathroom every 15 min!

I have had kidney infections in the past that have brought me to my knees, just hoping this does not happen now while pregnant since I really dont want to take any meds. Docs feel this may be why I'm having contractions, often UTI untreated can start premature labor..UGH!

Anyhow, so Im now on antibiotics 4x a day and cant eat for 2 hours before or after taking them..try telling a preggo gal they cant eat for a 4 hour period 4 times a day!! LOL :) Now all I do is think of food lol

Does cranberry juice really work or is it just an old wives tale? I have been drinking so much water I may float away :)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
HI,

I'm sory you have a UTI, but glad they've found it and you've started treatment.

Which antibiotic are you on?

You might need a longer course - lupies sometimes do.

I agree with your doc that the uti is probably triggering the contractions. It is important to stick to the treatment and finnish the course.

If the contractions don't settle down, if the get stronger, longer, closer together or you have any kind of vaginal fluid loss, contact your obstetrician or maternity unit straight away.

Usually after 2 days of antibiotics you should be able to notice symptoms subsiding, so if this doesn't happen, get in touch with your doc.

Cranberry juice has been studied in a few different research trials, and the results are a bit vague - it does seem to have a mild antiseptic effect, but not enough to be "clinically significant", so, it is no wonder middle, but it probably does have a small but real effect. In your circumstances, I wouldn't stop the antibiotics and switch to cranerry juice.

The tip to drink well is a good one, and eating acidic foods like oranges and kiwi fruit can also help a bit too.

Hope you feel better soon,

X C X

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Ohhh... I feel for you! I might have fainted if I couldn't eat for 4 hours 4 times a day! *lol*

I'm glad they found a cause for the contractions and hopefully this is the right antibiotic to kick that UTI to the curb.

By the way... I think I was about 32 weeks when I had to start getting NSTs and they found contractions at each one. I knew they were just Braxton hicks as they were just tightening sensation and not painful. Braxton hicks contractions can start very early on, in the middle of second trimester so this is a possibility that they weren't the kind of contractions that actually start labor.

Good luck to you - I'd give cranberry juice a try at least I'm sure if I was you.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Sharon
I'm sorry you are having this worry and discomfort as well as disappointed about having to take some meds. I hope it clears up soon - maybe ask your doctor about taking the antibio a bit longer than usual in the hope of getting rid of the darn thing for good
I have read that cranberry only works when it is taken regularly as it prevents the bugs attaching to the wall of the bladderbut it will make you feel you're doing more for yourself in a natural way.
( Note: people on blood thinners need to know that it can affect blood clotting even though it isn't green ;) Taking it regularly doesn't matter but adding a large amount all of a sudden might be unwise)

Hugs Sharon - well over the half way mark now !:)

Clare

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,

I'm taking Ampicillin (principen) 4x a day, never heard of it or taken it before but it seems to be kicking in now at day three :) I have to return to the doc next week for a repeat culture to make sure it has gone.

The pain in the back/kidney area has begun to subside and so have the contractions, I only had two yesterday which is fine by me!!

Cath, I wouldnt dream of trading antibiotics for cranberry juice alone...the memory of a full blown kidney infection too scary for that! I have just added it to my therapy to maybe speed things along :)

I have heard that citrus thing before Maia..lemons actually... for people who get recurring kidney stones and infections should use or drink lemon water everyday... wonder why that keeps them at bay?

Yes Clare, almost there, about 12 more weeks for me as they are scheduling the c section two weeks before my due date - This pregnancy has had so many twists and turns, I'll be glad just to see the healthy little bub!

Take care,
Sharon

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Sharon,

I think part of the reason that "cranberry juice works" or "daily lemon water" is that it makes you drink more fluids which helps keep the bladder flushed out.

When your through with the anti-biotics you might want to buy yogurt with live cultures or the capsules that are available now. They are often labeled Acidopholus or Pro-Biotics and they do help keep down candida infections. They are the healthy bacteria that normally infiltrate your intestinal tract and the anti-biotics kill all the bacteria good and bad. There is even some research on a particular pro-biotic for the bladder. I will see if I can find it.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Here is a general article from harvard that mentions urinary and vaginal tract infections.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0905c.shtml

I can't find a specific article on which pro-biotic might be helpful in urinary tract infections. I take the general pro-biotic tablets that my local store carries. They have mostly acidopholus and bifidus in them with a few others in the mix. One brand of probiotics will not be identical to the next at least not in the USA. I have taken them for years to prevent candida/thrush/yeast infections. If I don't take them for an extended period of time then the yeast rears its ugly painful, itchy head.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Karen,

Thanks for the interesting link.

I have certainly added alot more yogurt to my diet in recent days. This antibiotic has been killing my stomach!! My husband says I smell like rotten eggs..literally through my skin... A science experiment gone bad lol :) I think this drug has a sulfur component, maybe ?

I have often thought of buying the acidopholus tabs, but the procrastinator in me always puts it off, even though Ive heard they DO work.

thanks again,
Sharon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts