TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I have been diagnosed as having mild lupus & am currently on plaquenil which after 4 months has now started to slowly work,the rash on my face is now pink rather than bright red,I dont feel quite so achy in my hands & feet & thank god my hair has almost stopped falling out,the brain fog has improved as well,the rheumy thinks I have probably had lupus for several years but my doctor missed it, but I have noticed over the last year (around the time the rash first appeared) that I seem to get really bad cystitis every 2 or 3 months which quickly turns into a urinary tract infection & has on a couple of occasions also spread to my kidneys,could anyone tell me if this could be linked to the lupus?,has the lupus made me more vulnerable to these kind of infections?
because Im still quite new to all this Im not sure yet what is causing what & just wondered does anyone else get these kind of problems so any input would be greatly appreciated,
thanks all x

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi Shelley,

I have read of others who have had chronic problems with urinary tract infections related to lupus. I myself used to have a lot of trouble that way too, even though I would take all the usual precautions (panties that breath, voiding after intercourse, cranberry juice, etc.)

I hope this isn't more info than you wanted to know, but maybe it will help someone else, if not you. What turned out to be my problem is I was sort of allergic to my husband's sperm. It was changing the Ph balance in such a way that bacteria was thriving in that environment. My OBGYN told me this is common problem and has nothing to do with how clean he or you are, which makes sense since I'd still get a UTI even when we both showered immediately before. Once we started using condoms, the problem stopped. I also have a prescription for an antibiotic that I can take once before intercourse if we don't want to use protection.

If that's not your problem, I'd talk to the doctor about other steps you can take that might help. Good luck. I know how awful and uncomfortable UTIs are.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Shelly,

Yes, Lupus can make us more susceptible to infections, in general.

Jesse gave you some very good suggestions to help prevent U.T.I.'s

Avoiding bubble bathes..and don't use soap directly on your urethra,
can help avoid irritation and infection also.

I love bubble bathes myself, but since I started taking less bubble bathes and shower more, I notice I don't have infections as often.

I hope you feel better soon. I know how miserable those infections feel.

Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for that Jesse & Sandy,
Ive been drinking loads of cranberry juice & know to wee straight after intercourse & stuff but I never knew you could be allergic to sperm so thats definately something to think about,
& also I do love my bubble baths too so I think Im perhaps going to have more showers instead & see if that helps,Im feeling much better today at least it does,nt feel like Im weeing acid anymore & my tempreture has gone down but Ive been given a heavy old dose of antibiotics this time because the first course did'nt clear it & they are making me feel even more tired than usual & a bit sick as well,I think I may be in for a little flare because this morning my hair has started to fall out a bit too.
but thanks again for your advice ladies,hope you are both well x

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
A common rule of thumb for treating infections with lupus is "twice as long, twice as strong". My mother had recurrent cystitis for years until she got that style of treatment despite her taking every possible precaution. It is well worth checking out a detailed site with all the precautions in detail, things like wearing stockings and cotton knickers

I hope you can get clear of it soon

Good luck
Clare

1 - 5 of 5 Posts