TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if a urine test is highy advisable even if the right blood tests have been done for signs of kidney disease ( BUN, creatine etc )

I always thought that a urine test was essential as part of a proper lupus work up and if it isn't done people should request it, and maybe wonder if they are getting best practice care.

Thanks for comments

:)
Clare

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
That was my understanding too and my rheumy always insists on it.

·
4,430 Posts
HI Clare... whilst in a flare I was doing daily urine tests despite being bled daily...on multiple occasions, I believe the urinalysis is an essential part of showing the whole story and certainly my Rheumy always asks for urinalysis as part of the package of care, don't think this would happen if there wasn't valuable insight into whats going on by using urine tests..
Claire X

·
Registered
217 Posts
My main doctor is a nephrologist, and he has a slightly unhealthy obsession with urine tests :lol: I have a dip test every time I have an appointment, then do a 24hr collection about every 2/3 months (more if things are going off). I get blood tests too obviously, but the impression I have is that urine tests show up milder problems sooner.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Clare,

As you know I can't praise my doctors highly enough but they never do a urine test, I always have to ask.

I do a self test at home as I prefer to be responsible rather than leaving it to chance. Especially as I've had lots of new symptoms over the last year.

In my mind the two (blood & urine) should go hand in hand as part of a work up.

HTH,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Clare:

Urine testing is essential, your bloods (like mine) can be normal and not show activity even if it is present. If you have more than 2 or 3 urine tests in a row that all show protien (even if it is low) then you should push for a 24 hour collection.

I never had this done until my new rhumy, I have been testing positive for protien every time for 6 months and had to push for further testing as he said low leakage was OK. He was wrong...

Everyone please make sure they test your urine regularly.

Stephanie

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Clare,

Every 3 months I have a urinalysis and every month a biochemistry which includes urea, electrolytes, creatinine, albumin, GFR.

love
Lily

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all very much for the useful comments :)
It seems we are entirely right to continue to urge people to make sure urine is tested as part of the diagnostic process and as part of regular check ups or if flaring. I know that home testing is often advised when risks are real in an individual case. It is recommended and encouraged by St Thomas' doctors

:)
Thanks again - here's to better days

Clare

1 - 8 of 8 Posts