TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of us sit under UV (Floresent) Lights all day? I have noticed that if I use alot of sun screen I don't get as much of a rash. Sun screen protects us from the UVA rays right?
I sit under floresent lights all day, Actually I have always worked some where with floresent lighting, I wonder if this is not contributing to some of our problems.
I notice at the mall, or in the grocery store, or at work, my skin looks horrible. On my arms and chest where I have had a rash, it looks 10 times worse under these lights.
I think I might try sun screen at work 2-morrow.
What do you think, will it protect us from this UV light too?

·
Registered
30 Posts
UV lights

I too have noticed a reaction when I am around the dreaded office lights.There are certain offices at work that I hate going into. Within minutes my skin is on fire and my rash is down my neck.I have the same reaction to some computer monitors too. I also don't handle the lighting in stores. I have found my SPF 80 sunscreen to be a must have everyday now. It really helps me at work and when I am out and about. It blocks both UVA and UVB rays. Hope this helps you out a bit. I never realized how photo sensitive I was until my dr. started quizzing me on it. So for me, no sun and I have to always watch the overhead lights. At least my boyfriend understands and he is ever watchful over me. I call him my sunscreen police. Hope this helps.
Nancy

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi,

I'm very photosensitive so yes even fluro lights can set me off into a flare. Wearing sunscreen will improve the situation but if you are still having problems then there are filters that your management could look into for the lights at least in your immediate work area. This would be an occupational health and safety issue, so I imagine that you shouldn't have too much trouble convincing them.

PS If I sat under them all day I would probably end up in the hospital in a life threatening situation :hehe: not everyone is that badly affected thankfully ;)

love
Lily

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've only just got sensitive to fluorescent lights since I came out with a blistery rash on my hands and arms when we had a bit of a "heat wave" here about 5 weeks ago. Massive flare which only damped down aftre depomedrone.

I can't fullt avoid the lights at work but my immediate overhead lights can be turned off and I have an incandescent lamp on my desk. If I use one computer for a long time on my desk my left cheek (facing my colleague's overhead lights) flushes and burns, followed by the rest of my face and neck vee.

Come to think of it, when I had my first flare which put me in hospital (and undxd) I was under fluorescent lights for a week and came out of hospital with "sunburn" which I put down to all the drugs they pumped into me.

Fortunately I have mild reactions at the moment but I limit my exposure.

Keep up with the sunscreen!

Love Judi xx

·
Registered
157 Posts
UV lights dont give me a rash, but my face gets red and I get severe headaches, dizziness, fatigue, and nausea when exposed. So, I avoid them best I can. I have used a visor in classes where I can't avoid them.

Best of luck to you!
Holly

·
Registered
13 Posts
the pharmacy and other stores

:rotfl:

Okay good I swore it was just me... I go shopping and i start panting and sweating and i get very confused. It also happened at the doctors and pharmacy today. Its horible because I know I look like a strange character trying to rush my shopping because I can hardly focus or stop sweating.

After reading this I went to pharmacy:lol: and bought the strongest sunscreen. Now I am crossing my sausage fingers in hopes the sunscreen helps : )

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Jen,

I am not overly photosensitive but before the Plaquinel kicked in I found that I would get dizzy and nauseous in certain stores. It was a very unpleasant feeling. Now it happens very rarely but I know within a few minutes when I'm somewhere that I need to get out of. Wearing suncreen does make a difference.

Hugz, :hug:

Pam xxx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts