TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
4,430 Posts
My godmother of 90 had hers on Friday... I asked if I could possibly have at the same time as CEV and a carer.... but the GPs computer couldn't cope with that, so hoping it will be soon. Not sure how effective they will be with a suppressed immune system and I doubt anybody will be able to give me that information prior to the vaccination....guess any cover is better than none.

My dad, who is 83 gets his on Tuesday.

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Claire,

Age plays a role in effectiveness also, just like with the flu shot. Glad to hear your godmother and dad were both willing to get the shot. It must be a relief for you to know they will have some protection against this virus.

Rheumy said it will be less effective for us but if you do get a case of Covid it shouldn't be as serious. Timing is key with medications that deplete your B cells such as Rituxan. You want to have it done when you have your peak antibodies. Keep in mind it is 2 doses and it doesn't kick in for about 2 weeks. My window is too tight so my infusion will need to be delayed a week or two.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Im scared to get the vaccine (I will though). I have sle and I am unusually sensitive to everything. Are there any true studies on lupus and vaccines? Any one better than the other?

I’m concerned about lupus and asthma. What if you have a reaction? Then you need the hospital full of the virus.

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There have been no true studies. They are however examining cases to see how Lupus patients have faired. It will take some time since we are all on different medications and we don't all experience Lupus in the same way. In the US the recommendation is due to be released in March.

Neither the Pfizer or the Moderna are live viruses so doctors feel they should be safe. The live attenuated viruses need to be looked at more closely. In my area you get whatever the government sent at the time. Maybe later when the vaccines are more plentiful you will.

My daughter has terrible allergies and asthma and had the Moderna one. The site had all the possible precautions on hand. Later at home she had her Epi pens handy just in case but didn't need to use them. She is having a robust response with the second dose but no asthma.

Take care,
Lazylegs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts