The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have this new health wellness program at work where this company comes once a year and takes a fasting blood test to check for things. We just got our results today and they ran a VAP test, which I had never heard of before. My results came back as moderate to high risk of developing cardiac disease. Mostly, it came back with things that are inherited and it is pretty confusing. I am going to have to send my results to my doctor to discuss them. Supposedly, this tests 15 different cholesterols as opposed to the 4 that are done in the regular cholesterol test. I just thought I would mention it.

Take care,

Lisa

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I hadn't heard about this test before either so thanks for posting. When my dad had his heart attack 5 years ago (and he had low cholesterol) the Mayo Clinic ran some of these tests and his lp(a) came back at 2-3 times the upper limit of normal and they believe that is why he had his heart attack ultimately (& clogged arteries). The bad news is that there really isn't much you can do about lp(a). It was recommended that his kids get tested too but when I asked my GP about it - she hadn't even heard about it yet!

I should ask her about it again - but then again a part of me just doesn't want to know. Mostly because I'm doing everything I can already - exercise, eating well, maintaining a healthy/low weight.

Here's a link about the test that is brief and to the point for anyone that is interested:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-vap-test.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts