The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still not diagnosed, as bloods have always been normal, or so mildly positive it doesnt count. I have had what I thought was a pretty classic malar rash for probably 15 years or more. I've had it investigated 3 times now, by doctors who were convinced it was lupus - until the bloods came back. In more recent years though, I have had some variations on it. There is the usual pink to bright red smooth rash (that spares the nasal folds), but I have also had it go really lumpy and bumpy. I think that has been after sun exposure, but I couldn't be sure now. When it has stayed lumpy and bumpy for a while, it has gone almost into acne, and on a couple of occasions the lumps have turned into sores. At one time a dermy saw this and thought I had rodent ulcers (basal cell carcinomas) but by the time I went back to get a biopsy done of them they had disappeared, so obviously not that. When there has been the acne appearance I have been told rosacea, but the treatment for that isn't always particularly effective.

So, I guess what I am asking is whether a lupus malar rash can also turn into that lumpy bumpy acne appearance if it gets bad.

A further question about the rash: has anyone noticed that theirs will flare after eating certain foods? Mine does this fairly often, but I'm not sure if it is the particular food, or because I have got overheated after a hot meal (a curry meal will do it most times). It does seem to happen after particular foods, but not every time I eat those foods.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi there,

My malar is always quite flat and smooth, never lumpy, same with the V of my neck. I do get other rashes lately on arms and neck which are a bit lumpy.

I think it's more a Rosacea thing to redden after certain foods/drinks isn't it? I certainly haven't noticed it affecting my rashes, but then maybe that's just me.

love
Lily

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi Cemc my rash is on my neck and sometimes down the front of my chest.But at the moment i have a bumpy rash on both my arms but on the under side of them.Never had this before it is not sore have you taken pictures of it to show the doctor hope you get some answers soon Elisabeth

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Like Lily, my butterfly is a smooth pinkish red. It is on my face and in the vee of my neck. It gets more prominent when I am very tire, overexposed to the sun or take a very hot shower...it hasnever been bumpy or itchy.

Taking a picture of it is the best way to ensure youcan show the Dr even if it isn't there when you go.

Stephanie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts