The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondered if anyone knows of anyone with this or has any knowledge of it .

many thanks.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi Christine,

I don't know if this is what you mean but.....

My aunt has recently had a series of small strokes. These have left her memory so bad that everything has to be repeated at about twenty minute intervals.
She attended the memory clinic to see a psycho-geriatrician (yes they are really called that) who after seeing her MRI described her mental deterioration as a vascular dementia. Mind you she is 92 :rolleyes:

I think there are other causes but hers is evidently common in old age.

I don't know if that helps at all

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Chris
My mother was diagnosed with this form of dementia. The geriatric psychiatrist explained to me that it is a distinct form not the same as Alzheimers or the others, in cause or in symptoms. I understood that it is caused by blood supply being gradually restricted rather than TIA's. ( I'm not sure of the difference myself )

He told me that it isn't so much a gradual decline as steps of decline - the person stays at a certain level for a time then suddenly gets much worse. Looking back it had been coming on for many years but one just thought that the signs were those common to normal aging until it became clear that she was not coping and couldn't continue an independent existence. It was diagnosed via MRI.

Compared with Alzheimer's, personality traits become exaggerated rather than altered. This was certainly true in my mother's case. Her politeness became comically exaggerated and her rudeness became very rude indeed. He said it is the second most common form.
I'm not sure it makes that much difference in terms of devastation of personality.
I'm not sure if there is any treatment available to slow the process down. The GP had tried something to keep veins open but it had made her sick. That was when she was having sort of fainting fits. The psychiatrist said he would have suggested Aricept but he doubted that it would help at the stage she was at.

I don't know how accurate this is - you could look it up for better and more up to date info.

All the best
Clare

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Christine, I don't know, but I was wondering what is CNS Lupus?

I thought that was a form of dementia, but now I think I am wrong.

I hope someone helps us to know the difference b/tween the two. be well.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hi halfpint

Lupus can affect the central nervous system in a wide variety of ways.
19 forms of presentation have been officially listed.

Acute Inflammatory Demylinating Polyradiculoneuropathy (Guillain-Barre' Syndrome)

Aseptic Meningitis

Autonomic Disorder

Cerebrovascular Disease -. Neurologic deficits from arterial occlusion, venous occlusive disease or haemorrhage, e.g. stroke syndrome, TIA, crhonic multifocal disease, subarachnoid and intracranial haemorrhage, sinus thrombosis

Demylinating Syndrome

Headache : Migraine, tension, cluster, headache from intracranial hypertension, intractable headache nonspecific

Mononeuropathy (single/multiplex)

Movement disorder - most common is Chorea

Myasthenia Gravis

Myelopathy

Neuropathy - Cranial

Plexopathy

Polyneuropathy

Seizures and Seizure disorders

Acute Confusional State

Anxiety Disorder

Cognitive Dysfunction

Mood disorders

Psychosis

The Neuropsychiatric manifestations of SLE are varied and may be classified as primary neurologic & psychiatric disease. Primary (e.g. related to direct involvement of the central nervous system), and secondary disease (e.g. related to complications of the disease and it's treatment). The latter are much more common and can be produced by a variety of mechanisms
(Lily's pinned post above on NP/CNS Lupus}

You'll see that 'dementia' isn't mentioned

There are several forms of dementia as a disease, diagnosis depends on what the symptoms are, test findings and expert evaluation.

Some sorts of CNS lupus symptoms such as acute confusional state or cognitive dysfunction might seem like symptoms of dementia but the doctors would have to decide what the cause is to determine treatment. In the same way as they have to decide if psychiatric type presentations are due to psychiatric illness or lupus. Or if certain symptoms are due to MS or APS for example
There are other reasons for demented states as a symptom such as untreated anemia.

:)

Clare

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I looked up vascular dementia and was interested to see that among the lab tests for diagnosis is

Lab Studies

• Laboratory tests should be performed to rule out other causes of dementia. These tests should routinely include a CBC count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, glucose level, renal and liver function tests, serologic tests for syphilis, vitamin B-12 and red blood cell folate levels, and thyroid function tests.
  • In selected patients, optional tests include HIV serology testing, lupus anticoagulant testing, antiphospholipid antibody testing, antinuclear antibody testing, and antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody testing
http://www.emedicine.com/MED/topic3150.htm

It is all very complicated !

Clare

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi ladies..
Clare thanks for all that and yes its very complicated...

I do have cns lupus,i have Aps and also vasculitus...

the reason i asked about the dementia is because a cousin of mine has had four strokes...commenting on how alike we are with symptoms forgeting sentances the list is endless i am now told hes been dx with Vascular dementia...all a bit scary and close to home.. x x x

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Bless. chris dont let your mind run away with its self, you could make your self bad,

Lin xxx:there:

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
arr rhanks lin...you know me to well x x x x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts