The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I know there have been posts in the past on vertigo, but I just need to ask a question - what should I do? For the past two days I have had really severe vertigo - I fell over 5 times yesterday, and I feel so sick, sort of sea sick. Horrible. I have managed today by moving in slow motion, and I think it is slightly better today. Really debilitating, though, and especially scary with small children.
Is it common to just get short bouts of this? Is it a sign of something that should be checked out, ie do I need to go to my GP (which is rather a bore)? I have had migraine visuals and a lot of headaches recently, do you think they might be related? If it is just going to go away, I'll wait it out, but I just wondered if I should be having it looked...

Thank you!

x Hatty

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hatty,

If this is a new symptom for you then by all means call the doctor and have this looked into. It may require a MRI scan of the brain to make sure things are ok.

I have severe dizziness but not a true vertigo. Does the room spin on you or do you just feel extremely off balance? It is scary that you fell 5 times yesterday, that can not be good especially with small children.

I think you need someone with you to help care for the kids and I would advise you call the doctor straight away.

Let us know how you get along.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's vertigo, in that I feel very sick and the room spins so much that I can't conceivably stay upright - whether I fall over depends on how quickly I can get myself onto the floor before I fall. It happens with moving my head, sometimes when lying down (less dangerous!). It is better today than it was, but now I'm terrrified of it coming back...

If it's gone tomorrow I think I'll leave it, but otherwise visit my gp.

Thank you!

xHatty

·
11,409 Posts
Hi Hatty,

That is a miserable symptom to have.:hug: With all you other symptoms that you said you have, I think going to your doctor is in order.

Please let us know how you are doing.
Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi:

I get this qiute often...if it persists and ENT is the right one to see. There isnt much your gp and do except order more tests and give you anti-vert. This is a med that adapts the connection betweent the inner ear and the brain so that the effects are not so dramatic. It doesnt fix the problem.

There are many causes for vertigo, it is basically when the crystals in your inner ear get out of place. These crystals are suspended on cillia - fine hairs and sense head movement, they then send a message through the brain to the eyes so they can adjust. When they are out of place the messages are either delayed, not sent or are incorrect...causing the dizzyness, nausea and flushing.

Depending on the cause there are ways to treat or correct this, however it will usually subside on its own as the crystals return to thier normal place.

its awful I know...I have driven my car into the garage wall due to it...and I fall frequently too.

Stephanie

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
hope you get sorted soon, i get a lot of dizziness off and on not nice hugs Lin xxx

·
Administrator
7,566 Posts
Hi Hatty, hope you are feeling a little better now. I have this and it is most unpleasant. I would go to docs and get it checked. It could be linked to your headaches. I have meds for mine, but even so I can really struggle to walk in a straight line!

Take care

Deb

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy Hattie,
Your best defence is to buy a tee shirt with a message that reads:
VERTIGO
I GET DIZZY
I FALL DOWN
NO PROBLEM
On a more sensible note, I can only say, do be careful. The few times I have had this (and some of it's relatives) I have fallen down with the grace of an Aikido practitioner and have never hurt myself nor broken a bone. The time the floor reared up and whacked me at the top of a fllight of stairs and I rolled down safely is a standout. Unless you have had forty plus years in a martial arts dojo I suggest you be infinitely cautious about fallling. Even if you have had forty plus years in a martial arts dojo I suggest you be infinitely cautious! Broken limbs or hips do not look very good on a Lupie.
I must add that we have a saying that any warrior given the choice of being "skillful" or "lucky" should choose "lucky".
I think the same goes for Lupies.
I hope the vertigo goes away soon!
Douglas+​

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi Hatty

Sorry to hear of your symptoms.

i would certainly get this check out - particularly as you have small children in your care.

When I had this I had recurrent four bouts spaced by about a week at a time. It was diagnosed by the GP as Labyrinthitis (an inflammation of the inner ear) - but after diagnosis with an autoimmune condition, was thought to have resulted from "insults" to the brain which left lesions visible on an MRI.

Take care.

Merle

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Hatty,

Just checking in to see if your better and if not, did you call the doctor?

I hope your much improved today.:wink2:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all, and Douglas for making me laugh! I fall with the grace of heffalump, I'm afraid: my children think it's really funny, luckily. I look like I'm walking in treacle the rest of the time, trying not to make any sudden moves...

I am much better but it's not completely gone, and I keep feeling sick. So I think I'm going to call the rheumatology dept and see what they say, esp given headaches etc.

Thank you!

x Hatty

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hatty, I have had several bouts with Vertigo...the last one was Nov 08 and the Chiropractor (and ENT can do it too) has to move you in a few different positions to move the crystal in your ear back into place...look up "crystal in ear" or "floating crystal in ear" and read....there is a calcium crystal in your ear that if moved out of place it causes V
it will take a few days of not laying down also to get it to stay floating...it has to float to keep us balanced...

Please call either ent or chiro and get them to adjust you...

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Hatty,

Did you call today and if so, what did they say?
Hope your even better now then your last post.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Hattie-
I am sorry you are having to deal with severe dizziness. I get the feeling of the room spinning when I lay down in bed and turn my head. My dizziness is not as bad as when it first started. If I were you I would definately get checked out by a doctor, especially with you having headaches too. Please let us know how you are doing.
Rose

1 - 14 of 14 Posts