The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I don't have lupus but have vasculitis and I know a lot of you have vasculitis - maybe you can answer my question. I have recently developed very prominent bright blue veins on my abdomen and now on my face. These are much bluer and more prominent than the livedo reticularis which I have pretty much everywhere. Is this from the vasculitis? The ones on my abdomen don't seem to go away. I am bummed that I am getting them on my face. Between that and my continually blue and purple hands I feel I am looking rather "corpse-like"
Thanks for any info.
Laker

·
Registered
647 Posts
:ghost: :explain: Well, at least we are not alone, and have a head start on the rest of the crowd for Halloween! I have been diagnosed APS within the last year or so, and have no idea if my "blue veins" are due to that or vasculitis. Have you been diagnosed APS by any chance?

I have these horrific, huge blue veins that cross over the top of my torso, through the breasts, and up to the tops of my shoulders. Makes a nice little road map across my chest. These are large veins as well, not the little spider purple things (although I have enough of those as well!).

I would love to know what the devil is causing it, and if there is anything that can be done to disguise them with summer arriving. Tanning used to work, but that option has now been permanatley ruled out.

I'm beginning to think wearing a burka might have it's advantages .. I've always looked good in black. :lol: Tracy

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hi,
I've got good 'road mapping' too, I wonder if it would take us anywhere? :lol: I've APS and vasculitis too, my spidery ones are coming out in force all over my face:sad: , they do seem to change a little throughout the year I've noticed lifes a wicked witch!
Sue x

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hello Laker

Like you, Tracy and Sue, I also have the big blue veins. Mine are mostly on my upper body, tops of my feet and hands and a couple on my abdomen.

I also have levido and know what you mean about being different. I have APS, do you?

As for summertime tanning. I can't do that but remember last year there was an extensive post about self-tanning products. I prefer Jergens for the face and body. It's very subtle.

Laker, is your vasculitis active? If so, what are you taking for it? Take care and I look forward to chatting with you.

Love, Pollyanna :love:

·
Registered
198 Posts
WHats weird is I developed the bight blue road map veins about the time I got very ill with Lupus, 3 1/2 years ago. The ones on my chest and breasts bother me since the skin is thinner and I look terrible or sickly when I am pale without tan....and then tanning or sun is bad for the Lupus. I am APS negative but do have thickened blood just not sticky becuase I do not have a spleen. I often wondered why these bright blue veins appeared like that, seems many have them and no idea why....I read prednisone makes the skin thinner and I often thought maybe all the prednisone thinned my skin for them to appear very prominant...any ideas?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry that you have these veins too, but it is somewhat comforting to know it is not just me. I don't have APS but systemic vasculitis. I have had horrible looking twisted and bulging ( I mean really bulging) varicose veins since I was a teen. I've had 2 removed that were in danger of rupture and also a deep abdominal vein removed for the same reason. I also have purple ankles from the spider veins. and now nasty spidery veins and bruises coming off the big veins wear they leak. sigh.... I am feeling quite ugly. Also gained20 lbs on pred. in the last year. I'll try the self-tan lotion, that is a good idea and might at least help some. sorry to complain, it's getting warm here and I can no longer hide in long pants and sweaters-that is always a hard mental adjustment for me.
Laker

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help

I'm new to these message boards and to this site. I have had lupus for 5 years and APS, presented with a DVT. Was on Coumadin the whole time until the last few months. Tonight I noticed the veins in my arms and chest and down my sides were almost neon blue/green. I am kind of freaking out a little bit. I have also recently had painful lumps in my armpits that have come and gone twice with redness. Has anyone had these experiences? Do you know if it's the result of a flare up. I have not had any problems with my lupus besides the DVT 5 yrs ago. I take Plaquenil daily. I have an appt with my rheumatologist in 3 wks but was wondering if I should try to get in sooner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts