TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My forearms/wrists usually hurt a bit but this is riduculous..the majority of the pain is just after my wrist bones for about a few inches towards the middle of my forearm. It feels like the bones are broken in two. Its worse on the left but is a problem on the right too...is it the bones or the tendons here? does anyone else get this? its the worst pain ive ever had joint/tendon/muscle wise. its exactly like when yu break something. xxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
416 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Barb, I did that and altho it hurt my thumb to fold it into the middle of my hand(due to usual lupus joint pains!) it didnt really increase the pain in my forearms? my fingers are moving just as well as "normal". xxx

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Mooks,

Have you done anything out of the normal. Like work on flower beds, something you don't normally do?

I had tennis elbow once but that was only on one arm. It got so I couldn't hardly lift anything. It was very painful.

Sorry I am not much help. Hopefully someone will come along and post.
Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope havent done anything lol..havent even got dressed out of my jammies for three days hahaha!

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
I had it Mooks, but with mine the veins stuck up and my hands turned blue/grey. Mine felt like someone had put a rubber band around my wrists initially. after a while the wrists were killing me and the pain radiated up my arm.

I looked up the symptoms and it was like carpal tunnel. like you I hadn't done anyhting I hadn't done before.

How you doin on the steroids, you feeling better otherwise?

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Michelle,
I know the feeling it almost sounds like you have over worked something or pulled something but you have not right? If you have any pain pills you will need to take them but I would be called the doctor to see if you can not get an x-ray just to make sure everything is ok. I do hope that you start to feel better soon. Happy Easter by the way.

·
Registered
416 Posts
mooks;541556 said:
it didnt really increase the pain in my forearms? my fingers are moving just as well as "normal".
When you hold your thumb in that position, it hurts the thumb only (the pain can be unbearable and cause one to scream out in pain.) It shouldn't affect the other fingers much, if at all, just the thumb. The pain in the wrist and forearm comes with movement and/or use, even slight movement can be unbearable. The pain would be along the inside and top of your wrist and forearm. It can also shoot up into your bicep, shoulder and neck if really bad (mine did). Tenosynovitis is a symptom of lupus as well as other autoimmune conditions. Mine developed while working on the computer for eight hours even though I took lots of breaks! Continued unabated for weeks until it was diagnosed and treated by an orthopedic surgeon. Mine is coming back. I will need to have another injection soon unless the Plaquenil I was prescribed this past week helps it. If it isn't treated, it can become permanent because the inflamed tissues get stuck together or whatever because the synovium that surrounds the tendons or whatever ceases to move or stretch. If you think it's tenosynovitis, see your physician if it doesn't improve in a few days.

Barb

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
This was one of my first major sle symptoms. For over a year I had to wear splints on both wrists. They were strapped in to prevent as much movement as possible.

The solution for me was to start to get massage therapy. Within a couple months of weekly treatments, I was able to do away with the splints and have not had to go back. Initially, I could feel the bones in the wrists grating when she would work them. I have kept up with massage therapy as for me it works the best to keep my body up and running. I'm lucky to have a massage therapist who understands that we need to slow down my immune system, not boost it.
Sally

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your replies guys, I do think I may visit the dr on tues if no improvement. Wonder if an xray would show anything?

Pollianna, I have had to slowly reduce my steroids from 40mg to 10mg and to be honest i'm in agony on anything less than 20. bit of a nightmare. Still have Tachycardia (stupid nhs- "emergency" echo and 24 hour tape requested on 14th march has been scheduled for 24th april-3 days AFTER my next rheumy appointment!!) and also really bad weakness and pain in upper arm muscles and thighs. Plus really bad costochondritis still and pretty much all joints from toes to jaw are painful! Its ridiculous. Hope rheumy can fix me I'm going to go mad when I see him! xxxxxxx

·
Registered
150 Posts
De Quervain's syndrome

Hi Mooks
yes I did have De Quervain's. I was on the computer constantly, before lupus symptoms hit later d/x. As I was finishing a top postgrad degree, I started with doctors, then massage, but nothing helped that wrist killing pain, even with water in shower annoying.
It took a while to see orthopaedic surgeon, and assistants, who certainly did the Finkelstein test several times- owww! Eventually 6 months later I had the wrist operation and now it is right, now problems, though with lupus etc, many other joint problems are evident. Plaquenil has helped me well, though aggravated former breaks, stress fracture etc, seem to point towards corrective treatment for right foot.
All the best from Marymac

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Mooks, yes, I have it and from what my Dr. said, it is normal. Yes it hurts, wow , does it ever. I went months before asking about it. The final answer was ; yes, it's normal. Lupus does not have swelling only in certain areas, the body swells everywhere and anywhere it wants. And that was what my body did,for over a year it was the wrist area's of both hands. I asked if there was any question of carpel tunnel syn. he said no. A hand brace can help some. I sure hope you get better.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey yes i went to gp and he just said "its lupus ask your rheum about it next week" grrrrrrrr

1 - 13 of 13 Posts