TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in while been very ill. I try to visit the board at least once a week. I had a very tramatic experience this morning.

After being very sick and throwing up for months i was finally diagnois with the H-polrey bactria in my system. My Dr. prescribed prevacid pack for me . I guess he didnt pay any attention that i was allergic to pencillin. A few seconds of taking my meds my throat began to close and the muscles in my body became very stiff. I will unable to breath or move. It was the most tramatic feeling i have ever had. I am now not willing to take anymore meds for a while.

I am writing this so that everyone can please double check with your doctor before starting any new drugs. Please don't let anyone of you go thru this.

·
Registered
368 Posts
:sad: Sounds like a really scary situation! Glad you're OK! Meds are necessary, but your MD's and pharmacist need to know your allergies. Cathy

·
Registered
98 Posts
so sorry to hear this!

Hi Jackie
I was at my cardio fitness class to-day & was quite surprised when I spoke to a lady who had a heart attack after being given a medication that she had an allergic reaction to!!! Gosh, that was scarey news!!
Yours obviously was just as frightening and must have been so traumatic for you.
Thanks for your advice.
I think we should all be careful about the meds that we are prescribed. If possible, we should do a little research about any new meds that our doctor may prescribe.
However, we can become alarmed and paranoid if we read too much into the side effects since all drugs have some. Let's hope none of us have to experience anything serious and hopefully you can put this all behind you and move on to much better days!!
Hope you're okay now and that you never go through an experience like that again!!
Regards
Okie

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hello sorry to hear about the trouble you had.
I can understand why you are so scared.
My wife has a very long list of medications she is allergic to. We have found that we have to watch very very carefully to insure she is not given them.

Some doctors do not always look at the folders to see just what the patient is alergic to before they prescribe something.
We have even had them tell us in the hospital that they thought about giving her one of the items she is alergic to just to see what it did because it is so unusual for someone to be alergic to.

She does not get symptoms like you do with her alergies with her she gets covered in blisters by the medications she has trouble with.
My mom has the same problem you do but with Dogs.
She has had a very hard time with this. She has even had realeastate people lie to her and tell her that a home has no pets just to wlak in and have her throat close off on her. They then smile and say sorry I never guess it was that serious.

When you have alergies of anytype it seems you have to be very watchful all of the time to insure that you do not get the item.
If you don't have it I would suggest a ID bracelet or necklace that says what alergies you have.

With my wife what we have done for years after it was recommended by a doctor is when she takes a new medication the first few times they make sure that I'm home to help her if she has trouble.
It is also a good idea to make sure people who are around you when you take a new medication know CPR just in case it is needed.

For you a few items that may help in the future is make sure who ever fills your perscription knows what alergies you have. They will frequently catch what a doctor misses and take care of it for you.

You should also make sure you read any patient information sheets you get to see what warnings there are on the medication and have a drug book to look up more indepth information and interactions before you take it.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Jackie,

Just wanted to say that I am glad your o.k. and am very sorry that you went through that horrible experience.

The I.D. bracelet is an excellent idea..For all of us on Meds.

Take Care,
Sandy

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hi Jackie,
That was a really scary thing to happen, an ID braclet is a good idea for allergies especially, but also there are bracelets that tell what meds you are on, I am on too many so I carry several cards given to me with all the meds, and allergies on them.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm glad you made it through that horrifying ordeal:hugbetter: . You would think Drs. would be more cautious. I try to double check any new meds with my pharmacist as well, a good pharmacist in my opinion is worth their weight in gold. I also have a medic alert bracelet with medicines I'm allergic to on it. Take care.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Definitely a very scary situation... however, please don't swear off medicines for too long. Some of them really are essential for people like us and it sounds like you really need something to knock out that H.Pylori infection that's been causing you so much trouble. Just make the doctor check for interactions/allergies (& watch him/her do it!) and then have the pharmacist double check that you'll be fine with any new med you're prescribed and hopefully with the double safety net you'll be fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Everyone,

I will get me and id bracelet, that is a great idea. I did let the pharmacist
know what meds i am allergic to.

I am doing a little better today. I did started taking my meds again. I guess i was just vey scared. Thank you all for being here in my time of needs.

I just wanted to let eveyone that we should beware thats doctors do make mistakes. I agree i should or the information contents also.

Thank you,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts