TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I am just wondering what everyone takes for vitamins. Do you just take the one a day vitamin or do you take different supplements. I am going to talk to my doctor when I go back in Sept. about this. They wanted me to take calcium/vitam d but it always gives me stomach problems.

I have heard about taking Vit. B,C, E and wondering if your doctors told you to take that because of a difficiency or to add in as extra? I have read conflicting stories about these vitamins and Lupus.

I think that my diet is a good one as I eat a lot of veggies and fruits but still feel like I maybe lack.

I know we have to be careful about taking things and you can overdose on the vitamins too, so just curious about this and will not take anything before talking to him too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I take two children's chewable vitamins a day and that's it. I have thought about taking the Omega 3 supplements but haven't gotten around to it yet. Mostly, because I'm terrible at taking pills & hate them!

Other than the Omega 3, I think I get plenty of fruits/vegetables/vitamin C/etc. in my regular diet but I take the regular vitamins to be sure.

I haven't seen any compelling evidence that we need to take additional supplements beyond a general multivitamin; and there is some evidence that Omega 3 supplements are helpful if you don't get much of that from natural sources (especially wild caught fish as farm grown fish have much higher levels of contaminants most of the time).

·
Inky
249 Posts
Hi

I take calcium and Vit D (as Calcichew) important if you are or have been on steroids. I also take fish oil, recommended by my rheumy to help with raised cholesterol and also glucosamine + chondroitin for my joints. All of these are on prescription.

I was taking a multivitamin but we are a bit short of cash just now so that stopped. I feel better with the multivit, it may be psychological but if I have a day when I can't face cooking or even preparing food then the multivit supplements the cornflakes I live on ;)

IN the winter I take garlic tablets to help ward off colds, infections and vampires :rotfl:

I am one of those people that think diet is really really important in lupus. My fatigue and joints are better without sugar for example and I also avoid saturated fats as I have a raised cholesterol problem. I eat fresh foods as much as I can, don't like processed or pre-prepared food to be honest, so I probably don't need a multivit. But as I said feel better with one.

Hope this helps
Sara

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wondering about the Omega 3 supplement too.

I am going to do some reading and then discuss this with the rhemo in Sept.

I am interested in making sure that I am getting the right vitamins and as said, the vitamin d/calcium always makes me have stomach problems. I don't know what else to try that wouldn't do that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I take calcium and vitamin D because I am on Prednisone.

I take folic acid to help with the side effects of Methotrexate.

I take vitamin C for the heck of it!! :hehe: I think it was my husband that suggested that to prevent colds and stuff.

That's it! :)

Nutty

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Hi Paula,

My rheumy added Calcuim and vitamin D to help muscle cramping and Osteoporosis from years of Prednisone. It definitely helped the cramping.

Take care,
Lazylegs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts