TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we are all on many different types of medications. I must admit, I've tried taking vitamins, but never held much faith in them. My sister is now trying to "sell" me on a particular brand called *******. She has heard a testimony from a nurse she works with who claims it has pretty much "cured" her MS. Supposedly this lady is off all her medications because of this vitamin. It took a few years.

OK...it sounds a little hokey to me. My sister claims the vitamins contain certain minerals and are all natural. She is urging me to at least try them.

I will be checking with my doctor first, of course. I'm not going to just stop taking my meds.

Has anyone ever tried this particular product?

Thanks!
Michelle

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Michelle

I have removed the brand name because there are thousands of such products with similar claims being made about them and the general discussion is the same for all. Like so many of them, this appears to be a multilevel marketing concern in which individuals make money by selling the product to people in their circle. I steer clear of anything like that.

To me, individual testimonies are worthless when they come from a person who has a personal profit motivation either directly or indirectly. Anytime the word 'cure' is mentioned a red warning flashes. I ask myself what does 'feel better' mean, where is the proof that you are medically better only because you took that product.
Lupus comes and goes and people can feel well and be in clinical remission for years. I think that some sorts of MS are relapsing remitting too, assuming that the person had a correct diagnosis to start with.

So in my opinion these things are very hokey indeed. Some of us do have vitamin and mineral deficiences or we risk having them and need to take supplements. Another warning sign for me is any mention of boosting or supporting the immune system.

It is often hard to resist friendly, well intentioned recommendations without giving offence. If you can afford to buy it, go ahead and just chuck it out or after you have assured yourself there is no ingredient that could possibly do you harm, take it, after mentioning it to your doctor.

'Natural' does not necesarily mean 'harmless'! I could poison myself in a trice in the back yard. It's a very seductive word.

Take good care and all the best
Clare

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with you Clare. Especially when it comes to this "Vitamin D" Hype everywhere.
People dont seem to hold the possibility open that people with autoimmune disease have low levels of vitamin D because they are sick. As a result of the disease process.

Supplementing with huge amounts of this "vitamin" (which is a hormone, not a nutrient) might not be benifical at all, actually the oposite may be right.
BR
Martin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts