The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
blood tests for lupus

Can anyone let me know how long they normaly take?:worried sick, Dr called me back 3 times for the same blood tests. Was told 8 years ago that I had RA

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Duckster,

Nice to meet you.

How are you? What symptoms are you having at the moment, and what treatment are you recieving?

How long blood tests take to come back depends on what was tested. A full blood count, U&E's and LFTs come back quickly - withing a few hours if they are sent by email or www (if your GP's office and local hospital lab communicate this way)

Antibody tests and compliment levels take longer in my experience - at least 2 weeks, but again this varies a lot between laboratories and also in how the results are communicated. If they have to be sent in the post this also adds to the time.

The best thing to do would be to ask your doctor what he/she estimates for your tests.

All the best,

X C X

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
The ones that take a little longer are the more specialized tests like the various auto-antibody tests. Many labs will ship the blood out to have these tests run and will get the results back within 1-2 weeks. My lab has set days of the week where they run certain specialized blood tests so how long it takes to get results back will vary a little based on when the blood was drawn versus when the lab day they are run is.

You can try calling them after 1 week and asking... and then again at the 2 week mark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts