The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 year old little boy who has suffered from angiodema/chronic hives for 6 weeks now. Last week they tested him for allergies etc. but the doctor was very concerned with lupus. He takes Zyrtec daily, sometimes Benadryl if his hives come back...he has an epipen (as we have been to the ER now twice because of wheezing and throat swelling). He suffers from occasional constipation, but had horrible constipation as a baby and toddler. He does have an inhaler and has trouble with asthma...he wants to run around and play, but he loses his energy quickly. We should have the test results back next week. I was wondering if anyone has been diagnosed as a child?:):)

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site. It is a great place to get info and support. I am sorry your son is ill. It is hard to watch your children suffer. My son has chronic urticaria. It sounds as though you are under the care of a very competent doctor, I hope he can treat him and he will feel better soon.

Take care

Deb x

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uticara

Thank you. I am very impressed with our doctor...she really has spent a lot of time trying to figure this one out and not overlook anything. How long did your son have hives? Did he every have angiodema as well?

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, he has never been formally diagnosed with that nor does he have an epipen. However he does have chronic eye, lip and throat swelling with his allergies. He used to be acute, but now it is has settled into a chronic grumbling condtition. He takes meds and is under the care of an excellent paedatrician. I really hope they manage to sort things with your son, a good doc does make all the difference.

Deb x

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi hun,

I'm sorry to hear about your son. It must be so hard having a sick child and not being able to just wave a magic wand.

I've got a number of allergies - mainly to food - eggs and nuts are my main culprits, although I am also allergic to penicillin and have had numerous reactions to various medications over the years. I was diagnosed first with the eggs, when I had a severe reaction when I was about 2 years old. Later, I found out about the nuts.

To tell you a kinda funny story.. when I first met my boyfriend, we kissed and it immediately sent me into anaphylaxic shock! It was because he had eaten a nut and mayo salad for lunch and I guess there was some left in his saliva (sorry - too much info). It was horrific at the time, and I literally stopped breathing - I didn't have an epipen then - but thankfully the paramedics gave me the adrenaline and I'm still here! I woke up in resuss with my bf holding my hand and bless him, the relief in his face said it all. He said "what if I had killed you with a kiss on our first date?".

I carry epipens everywhere with me now. Also I'm v careful about receving kisses from anyone - even on the cheek, as before now I've been sent into shock.

I hope I haven't scared you - was trying to make a little light out of it. I do hope the docs find out what's going on for your son and help him. I have lived with mine ok- ok, there have been some ups and downs along the way, but mostly the problems have occurred in restaurants and where waitresses often lie about what's in the food - either because they don't know or can't be bothered to find out. I'm very wary of eating out now, and also I bake a lot of my own food. It's kinda healthier though alot of the time, s I don't mind. And it's kinda therapeutic!

Take care, Ruth X

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.