The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( For about the past month I have been having an awful time sleeping, it's been longer but this particular symptom has worsened. I do have sleep apnea so I sleep with a mask on, but after about one hour I wake up breathless, and feeling like I want to jump out of my skin, it used to only happen in the bed but now if I am laying on the couch it happens sometimes when I wake up other time while I am just laying there. I have elevated my head, both on the couch and the bed but it really seems to make no difference.:mad: Now I normally do have difficulties with anxiety and take ativan four times a day for it, but this seems so urgent and scary.:eek: Has anyone else experienced anything like this before? I have started to dread the nighttime when normally I would sleep away and now sleep is the exception and never long enough to feel the least bit rested, even with soma. Karly

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi Karly

I have sleep apnoea, too, and use a full face mask. I use an autoCPAP which adjusts to my airflow needs. Is yours auto or preset by your pulmonologist? If it is set, you might need the flow adjusting a bit to keep your airways open. How old is your mask? If the seals are a bit worn you can get leaks (mine is doing it a lot at the moment as I am due a new one). Have you checked the hose for a hole?

I know you have been going through a lot at the moment which is bound to have a effect on your whole body. I know if I am very anxious or tense I tend to "fight" the CPAP and don't have a good night's sleep - the mask is "wrong", too tight/loose/hurts, airflow too cold/warm, get the hose wrapped around my neck as I am tossing and turning (as much as my sore body can toss and turn ;) ). The result is usually a stonking headache in the morning that persists during the day.

I hope the news from the mammogram will relieve your anxiety and that you will soon be able to sleep as before. If you can use it, lavender oil is very relaxing. My husband used to use an oil warmer (ceramic tea light holder) in the bedroom after particularly stressful days, until it got broken in the house move. (Makes my eyes sting!!!)

I hope you have a better night tonight. Thinking of you.

Love Judi xx

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New Mask

I just recently got a full face mask ( I was using one just for the nose, but my face is so swollen from the prednisone) and new hose, I also have an extra hose. Usually I rip it off in my sleep if I am uncomfortable, but I don't do it until I wake up freaked out, is the best way I can explain it. I dread the night and trying to sleep and I am afraid it has become a self-fulfilling prophacy. Scents usually make me cough and my asthma act up although for the first few minutes I like them. I do have some lavender lotion though that I might try, if I have enough left over, it was almost empty last time I used it. Oh, they set the number on the machine, I think it is set on 8. But I will check everything to make sure it is all functioning right, Thanks for the ideas, Karly

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi Karly

Just after I wrote last night and went to bed, only to discover I had a hole in my face seal!! Quick patch with electrical tape and hardly a leak. I have noticed when I wake up at night the auto setting has gone up to 13 or 14 (I have quite severe apnoea), other nights it can be as low as 9.

I hope you had a better night.

Much love
Judi xx

·
Registered
71 Posts
HI Karly, i was just wondering. does your chest hurt at all or does your chest feel heavy like a weight is on it. the reason i ask is i had the same breathing as you and i inded up having fluid on my heart and lungs. and ended up in the hospital. so if your chest does hurt i would have it checked out. i do not mean to scare you but i just wanted to share with you if it might help. please take care Sue from illinois.:)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
If you think its anxiety - I was on the sleep apnea site (I think you just put .com after that but I'm not sure any longer) when I first had sleep apnea and got a trial package of something called some essential oils. The one called Peace had me sleeping like a baby and I didn't think I'd been having problems. I put a drop on a pad of material and put it in the drawer where my machine is. They say put it by the intake but the first night its always too strong. You might want to try something similiar, you just have to be careful not to contaminate the machine.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, my chest does hurt but the doc has already sent me to have ekg, chest x-ray, labs and also checked my legs for clots so maybe it is anxiety???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts