The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rolleyes:

hi all haven't been on for a while been quite ill but on the mend now , I had 3 more clots and a dvt so they finally decided to put me on warfarin . I have a question though If anyone has any thoughts.

I have been on warfarin for 3 months now and my ratio should be 3-3.5 but for some reason it won't budge past 1.1 so I am back on fragmin which I have been on for nearly 3 yrs ! my tummy is so bruised and my pharmacist doesn't seem to be interested in what is stopping my warfarin from working

I just wondered if anyone had been through similar or knows if any lupus meds could be counteracting it??

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Thanks all
Claire

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
There is actually a blood test out there to see/help guage what kind of dose a patient needs on warfarin. Some people just do not get the results from it though - genetics I think! Diets high in vitamin K or changes in vitamin K can also effect things. Have they discussed Plavix and do they think that would help in your case?

Good luck - I posted about the blood test before & I'll try to search to find that again and link to it for you.

·
Registered
250 Posts
What dose have you been on? I've been on Coumadin and now Warfarin for many years and once we figured out the dose I needed it's been pretty steady with occasional adjustments. Some things in your diet could effect the results. Seems to me they could just keep uping the dose till they get you where they want you. My current dose is 4mg, I've heard of some folks on a much higher dose.

Eric

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I have to go 3 times a week to warfarin clinic for my INR checking I have been on 25mg for 4 days then 15mg which are big doses which were meant to boost my inr but they had absolutly no affect whatsoever .
I have been on Fragmin injections to stop more clots for 3 years and just switched to Clexain which is similar I'm that bruised I can't move !!
I have checked my vitamins and diet and there isn't any Vitamin K !
I give up
I seem like I'm the only person thats bothered about why warfarin isbn't working at the clinic they just up my dose more and more every day they haven't even questioned why it isn't working
Why should I do the diagnosing ??
I have twin toddlers and in the middle of a flare I don't need this
Thanks for any suggestions
Sorry for moaning !
Claire x

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wow Claire, that's a new one to me! If I took 25mg I think I'd just turn into a pool of fluid! Your Doc. doesn't have any reason why? Since I've been on the thinners I've never had troubles with clots again, and I'm very thankful for that! Good luck, hope they can figure this out for ya (and if they do let me/us know, I'd be interested in WHY!). Clots suck! I know when I had a Pulmonary Embolism it was one of the most painful and scary things I've ever had (every time I'd take a breath it felt like a knife was being shoved in my chest).

Take Care,
Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts