The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Inky
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

A wasp crawled up my trouser leg on Sunday afternoon and stung me. Took me totally by surprise as I was inside and I live 6 floors up in a city centre flat! Insects have a great attraction for me as something similar happened with mosquitos on a romantic break in paris a couple of years back.

This time I did everything we could find on the internet to do... got the sting out, bathed in vinegar etc. Now more than 72 hours later I have a large (fist sized) raised glaring red patch on my leg which itches like crazy and feels a bit creepy crawly too.

I am taking an anti-histamine, using a mild steroid cream twice a day, using bicarb of soda paste in between and also ice packs to calm it when it gets bad. I was hoping that starting pred. on Monday would help, maybe it has and I hadn't realised! ;) I am keeping it clean as the mosquito bites all got infected and I my lupus flared

Does anyone else get such a huge reaction to a sting? (it has gone down only slightly since sunday). Does anyone have any other advice.

Thanks
Sara

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Sarah,
Seems like you are doing everything right.
Some Lupus patients do have very strong reactions to bites and stings.
I know mosquitoes used to eat me alive before I started mepacrine.
I wonder if your Doc. would have any other treatment ideas. (or maybe ask a Pharmacist, they are usually very helpful and no need for an appointment)
x Lola

·
Registered
893 Posts
HI:)

Yes I do.

I vary from Hives all over after a sting to localised large swelling.

The creepy crawly feeling is familar as well.

Before medication I would feel so ill when stung I would over react to the idea of getting stung again . Mostly worried that it would get worse everytime I was stung.

This year I was stung by a bee on the foot and my foot became huge, puffed up and red and angry looking from mid foot all the way to my ankle.

It took at least a month for the last residue to disappear and I was left leading up to that point with all manner of weird sensations.

I felt ill after but not as bad as I thought.

It sound to me that you did all the right things. An antihistamine early on is what I did. Put some localised cream on to help with intense itching but to be honest only time ultimately helped.:)

Nx

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hiya

You have my sympathy. I flipping loath stinging biting creatures up my trouser leg - it's downright uncivilised. I do hope you flattened the thing quick sharp. :smile:

Seriously though, if the sting has caused such massive swelling i think you should go get a doctor to look at it, or at least go to your local pharmacy and get the chemist to look at it becasue they are very, very good at recomending the right over the counter product for the job. The steroid cream might not be right.

Sorry - just looked up at the screen and seen Lola has written almost exactly the same.

So i'm going to say even more!

It is ants with me. They track me down every time. There could be 20 people stood on a nest, but they will have covered me from head to foot and totally ignored everybody else.

I react very badly to their bites / spray - think it is formic acid. Anyway I am a total baby if they are around and i get as far away as possible very, very quickly. The last time the things got into my clothing i itched for 3 months and was covered in scabs from scratching in my sleep - I do not jest.

I felt like i was crawling with the things and it was blooming horrid.

Get that great big swelling looked at just in case, eh?

·
Inky
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Alwin and Nicky

Thanks for your replies. The swelling is now flat and the redness has receded by around a tiny bit. At this rate it will take a month to go :( I spoke to our GP surgery and they said I am doing everything right and the steroid cream is OK to use twice a day for a week or so. The nurse thinks that starting prednisilone is a blessing in disguise as it will be calming the reaction down. They worry more about breathing problems apparently which tend to start pretty soon after the sting. Oh and I am to keep it really really clean as infection is a risk!

Alwin... I seem to be OK with ants, which is good because I like camping. They are much harder to spot too. But flying things love me! I am sure I must give off some sort of attractant to these beasties. Maybe because I get so hot and get flushes/sweats with the lupus. I was the only one in our holiday apartment that got bitten by mosquitos and there were four people sharing the same flat! I got five bites in one night and went back home feeling miserable and ill with arms and legs swathed in bandages as I am allergic to sticky plaster. Mind you the swellings were so bad then you would not have found a plaster big enough. The doc said she had never seen such a severe reaction!

Lola... I am on mepacrine, obviously wasps don't mind it but it sounds promising for battling it out with mosquitos in the future. (Mind you I am now avoiding anywhere mosquito prone, I was so very ill that one time).

Nicky ...I have been really scared of getting stung or bitten since the mozzy incident. I know exactly what you mean. I suppose I am lucky I treated this sting so quickly. It must be the immune response being out of whack. My partner got stung two years ago and you could not see where the sting was by the next day!

Thank you all again.
Here's wishing you a sting-free and bite-free summer.

Sara

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Sara,

That wasp was on a mission to seek you out:eek::yell::bruise:.

I think you are doing just about everything there is to do for now, but it would be worth remembering this incident and how bad your reaction was even on pred....You might be developing an allergy to waspstings, masked this time due to the pred. The following time (and I hope for you there is no next time) might be anaphylaxis.

If you can see an allergist at some point they can test you for allergy to wasp stings, and if necessary prescribe an epipen for you to have nearby.

I'm allergic to bees - having had several stings in childhood with exaggerated but not life threatening stings, my last sting let to full anaphylaxis. Coincidentally that bee also tracked me down - I was inside ironing at the time.:lol:

One other thing - watch the wound for infection - a wasp sting makes quite a big gash in your skin, and can introduce bacteria with it's stinger. Any spreading of the redness, increased warmth or pain, a fever or pus see a doctor ASAP.

I hope you feel better soon.

X C X

·
Inky
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi Cath

Thank you so much. I am all admiration for the moderators whose advice is always first class. You all do a difficult job very well.

The wound is quite tiny, I shouted my partner and he whipped the sting out really quickly and I poured vinegar straight onto it as was in total panic because of that mosquito reaction last year and fear of going into shock. Funny how those beasties seem to hone in on their juicy prey :hehe::blush::eek:

I started the pred on Tuesday morning (rather good timing!) but the wasp stung on Sunday afternoon so I was not on the pred when the beastie got me.

My reactions to bites and stings does seem to be excessive. I see the GP nurse in a couple of weeks and my rheumy in 3 weeks so will go armed with questions and ask about the allergy test which i did not know about.

Well, rest for me... I am getting better on the pred but my typing just went off again on one.

Sara
x

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

I can't give any advice. I think it has all been given and that you are doing what you need to do. Also, it seems that you also asked the nurse, so it seems all bases covered.

I used to get eaten alive my mosquitos and used to overreact to their bites too. Since being on plaquenil I have hardly been bitten and when I am react perfectly normally :)

I haven't been stung by a wasp since I was 6 so can't say on that one!

Katharine

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Me too ! Big reaction to all insect bites ! Ridiculous !

But this may be a fairtale, but I heard to put a penny and tape it to your bite as soon as it happens and next day it will be gone.

Haven't tried it yet. Again, may just be an old wive's tale.

But I will try should the opportunity occur.

Hope you feel better.

Oh yeah, I got stung by a bee, never allergic to it, was gardening and shoved my hand in bush to pull out weed, and BITE !

so it swelled up on my hand very much so, went to the doctors two days later and he said just put ice, etc., the next day was a Sat. and a red line started to crawl up my arm. I have always heard a red line is infection. Called the doctor, he said oh yeah, it looked like it was infected, I'll order you antibiotic !

What the heck? I did get rid of that doctor.

·
Inky
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Katharine and Paula

It's not itching quite so much today, worse at night now. The red patch is hardly shrinking at all but then I always take ages to heal from anything, be it a bruise, a head cold or a bite!

I don't think mepacrine works in the same way with bites as Plaquenil does for you Katharine, unfortunately, I was on mepacrine during the "mozzi" incident and my doc wondered if that had contributed to the severity of the reaction. However I guess being on anti-malarials at least means if the Parisien mozzis were malarial I would have been safe... ha ha.

Love
Sara

1 - 10 of 10 Posts