The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - anyone else suffering from water infections / cystitus? I've been up since 3:00am, having to go to the loo and in a lot of discomfort. This is the second time in three weeks. Am going to try and ring the doc later (last time I just got stuff from the pharmacist and struggled on). My hubby wants me to stay off work, but am worried about my sickness record. Any one else suffering like this??
Hugs to all
Mary Beth

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Marybeth

I can feel entirely sympathetic because I have yet another of the rotten things right now. Mine don't cause pain for some reason, I just feel awful and worn out apart from going only a bit more often.

You really do need an antibiotic to get well rid of it. Best not to have a 'sulfa' antibiotic such as Bactrim because people with lupus tend to react badly to the sulfonamides. Amoxycillin does the trick for me.

I don't know how your GP surgery works but I keep a spare specimen tube at home, so as soon as am suspicious I get down to doc's who can confirm on the spot if there's something wrong, prescribe then if need be ( I saw him on the Friday so he gave me amoxy to tide me over the weekend ) Then I take it to the hospital for further investigation and culture to make sure I have the right antibio. After the week's antibio course urine gets checked again to make sure it is clear. It is easy for me to get the bus up to hossy if I miss the 9.30 am specimen pickup time. Hossy results take 24 hours on weekdays.

Untreated UTI's can cause more serious problems in the long run. Sorry about your work situation :(, can only hope for the best for you there.

Hugs and feel better soon

Clare

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, I suffer from utis as well. I have loads since having lupus, sometimes you need more than one course of antibiotics to clear them up. I have found them to be quite nasty and they cause a flare up of my lupus symptoms.

I do the same as Clare and keep a spare specimen tube in the house and just drop it off at the docs and they test it for me and leave me a prescription to collect.

I do think you should get it checked by a doc because if it is left untreated it will keep coming back and cause you more probs as Clare said.

Hope you feel better soon.

Deb

·
Registered
39 Posts
hi there,
I really feel for you I get uti's all the time too,I tend to go several months without any at all & then will have infection after infection for weeks at a time & mine tend to get really severe really quickly,I would'nt try to just struggle on without antibiotics because I did that a couple of times & both times it turned inhto a kidney infection,now as soon as I get the burning feeling my gp gives me antibiotics straight away & they clear up much sooner,really hope you feel better soon bless you because they really do make you feel dreadful,take care x

·
Pamela b
424 Posts
Hi

I get runs of them, one after the other. They make me feel ill as well
So sorry you ae suffering and hope you soon get the right medication and it clears up soon
Think about at least taking a day or two off as you will get better faster

Pam

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well ----------is Lupus like that character in Greek Mythology, which grew two heads everytime one got chopped off. It seems that every new symptom / condition can be linked back to SLE. Anyway, I did get some anti biotics, and had one day off work. Went back today - guess what? triggered sickness monitoring procedure.. LOL.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Hi, I have internal bladder cystitis but I am not currently being treated.. I did try detral, and another similar medication but it just made my other health issues worse and did nothing for the pain - I have protein in my urine but no actual infection.. painful inflammation though. I have had this since 2007. Currently this doctor is seaking out other medical advice... I hope you find something.. I know that not drinking after 6pm helps with night time urination.. showers are better than baths.. and that cranberry juice is good..

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, sorry it has triggered the sickness monitoring procedure. Can you get some advice on this? Maybe from the CAB or a disability organisation?

Deb

·
jill d
47 Posts
oh yes me too, I find its quicker and as efficient to see the nurse, she ll do a dip stick urine test and prescribe you the right meds. def needs anti biotics. I used to get them frequently and often flush it out myself by spending all night on the loo with a jug of barley water. but dont have the courage to do that anymore, also I dont get the horrib burning so much now , but that usualy means I notice too late and my kidneys get infected too. I never knew this too was linked to Lupus! Hope you get some treatment soon.

·
4,446 Posts
Hello.. me too..often us luppies need longer on the antibiotics, but I am given strong ones that I only usually need two days of..which is great, but now become allergic to it..grrr.
I have my own urinalysis dipsticks and as soon as I have leucocytes in there I know I am en route to another UTI. The Dr gives me antibiotics to start at that point as experience tells us I am better off catching it early as it clears much more quickly without further probs for me.
Hope you get some relief soon, it makes you feel rough...take care..Claire

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.