The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just watching TV with half an eye when "Fringe", a sci-fi/X-Files-type show came on. Because we have company and I am feeling quite rough, I had the sound turned down and the Closed Captioning on when to my surprise I caught "SYSTEMIC LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSIS" and a description of it and some comments thereupon.
It does not matter what was said but that there was a reference to it at all is a good sign. Pop culture knows we exist!!!
Hope everyone is feeling better than I; I never quite know what to do when it feels as though my body doesn't fit.
Douglas+

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Douglas,

I'll look forward to hearing that reference when the series finally catches up here in Belgium :)

Yes, it is good - a little bit here and there and suddenly we'll find that people have actually heard of it!

Katharine

·
Duncan
254 Posts
There was also a half page article in The Times newspaper in the UK a couple of days ago about Lucy, the inspiration behind 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds', who died recently from an infection as a result of Lupus. The article mentioned a fair amount on Lupus and had a quote from someone in the St Thomas' Lupus Unit in London and directed readers to their website. Hooray!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm a big Fringe fan and saw that episode. I was concerned about it because in the episode Walter determines that the woman (corpse) had lupus and couldn't get pregnant because her lupus would attack the fetus so her husband genetically altered the fetus and created a "mole" baby. Typical Fringe, but not typical of lupus. I don't know if that episode did more harm than good. Though it was a good show, and Anna Torv was terrific!

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Lupus mentions on 'House', are a standing joke. :)
See for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbZ7EpmaK_o

The final joke is when House hides his painkillers in the major Lupus medical text book commenting as he takes them out what a good place it is because after all " it is never lupus ".

:)
Clare

·
Registered
330 Posts
Last weeks episode of casualty BBC1 had a woman on with undiagnosed Lupus

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
:joke: I love it Merle :lol:

love
Lily

·
Registered
289 Posts
Have you notice how when you get a new car, suddenly, every second car that passes is the same model - even the same colour! Same thing with lupus!

I've just found out that Hugh Gaitskell (Leader of the Labour Party) died in 1963 from a heart condition brought on by lupus, aged 56 - see the BBC News report:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/january/18/newsid_3376000/3376971.stm

Thank goodness treatments have improved so much in recent years!

Merle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.