The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
For those of you who have had hospital stays, did you find that you were really weak when you got out? I was in the hospital over a a month ago for a week and didn't experience this. When I got home I had almost normal energy. But I just got out for the second time last week. I stayed a week and a half this time. I was pretty much in bed all the time except for getting up to go to the bathroom and sometimes pacing the room because of the high dosages of prednisone. BTW, I'm taking 60 mg pred and just started Cellcept plus a bunch of other meds, mostly for blood pressure
But I've been out of the hospital now for 5 days and I am still having trouble sometimes getting out of a chair or getting up off a stool. Stairs are really difficult, too. It's like my legs don't want to work. I took a tumble the other day because I raised my leg to take a step and it collapsed. Yet, I can take a half mile walk with my husband, including slight hills. Have my legs atrophied or do you think it's my body's weakness from the flare? I know my red blood cell count is really low, but my other levels were okay when I left the hospital. Thankfully I'm seeing my rheumie tomorrow morning. Thank God for elevators..:lol:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Lauralee,

I may not be of much help to you but just a thought to ask your rheumy. Predisolone can cause muscle weakness. I don't know if that occurs quite quickly or if it is over a length of time but at the doses you are taking that might be what's going on.

sorry, can't help more,
Katharine

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
It's probably the prednisone, it can cause terrible muscle weakness. The only thing you can do about it is exercise - start very slowly as you are feeling weak, and build up gradually. If necessary see a physio to work out an exercise programme, but the more you do regular stuff like walk to the letterbox to clear the mail, everyday stuff like that, the better. Simple stuff like leg lifts when you are lying on the couch can be very helpful.

hope you feel better soon

raglet

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
ps I call them "jelly legs" coz that's just what it feels like. Feels like the large muscles in my legs have turned to jelly

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Laura,

I just wanted to drop in and tell you, that I hope you feel stronger each day.

I am sorry you were in the hospital and have had such a time of it lately.

Please, take care..

Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your responses everyone. I have been making myself take walks around the neighborhood every day, walking further each time. Hills are really hard on me but I keep going. I only take stairs when someone is in front of me to put my hands on their shoulders. I still have a hard time getting up out of chairs, though! So sometimes I will lift myself up and down, up and down out of the chair to build those legs up.

Sandy,
Thank you. I am feeling stronger. This is the first day I am going to drive my car in weeks. I was having a lot of cognitive problems with the fevers, but they are at bay right now (PLLLLLLEEEEEEAAASE dear God, don't let them come back again!!) Sorry for that little outburst but i've had them for 3 months now and they get pretty high. They went away once for over a week and then came back. That's why I am trying Cellcept right now. But yes, I am staying strong and praying!!!! Thank you everyone for your support!

:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts