TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced weight gain with a flare?

I moved about 2 months ago back to my parents house for a few months and I have not been feeling the best since. I have had my bouts of costochondritis, fatigue, joint pain, eyes hurt from being tired, mouth sores, headaches, etc. I have also gained 4 lbs in this time period and I am not eating any more than I used to...I am actually eating a bit better (more fruits and veggies), yet I have gained 4 lbs.

Is there a correlation between flares and weight gain?

Take care,
Lisa

·
Inky
249 Posts
Hi lisa

I put on weight when I am flaring because I don't do as much in terms of burning calories and the fatigue and downright glumness of being tired and ill all the time means that i comfort eat!

If you are taking in more calories than you burn, even if it is fruit and veg you can put on weight. Fruit has a lot of sugar in it.

Not sure if this helps or not?
Love
Sara

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello there,

I definitely put on weight when flaring even if I am doing everything exactly as I used to. This is including thinking back to the "no meds" and "just as much work" time. So, I can't put it down to burning less calories.

I have now been on meds almost a year and a half and in that year and a half, despite being unwell have managed to only gain an extra 2 kilos (and that's on pred too!!). Unfortunately before I got any treatment I had gained an extra 8 so now, I'm trying slowly but surely to lose some of that. I think the whole ten is rather unrealistic so I'll be happy with 5.

I do think that the "not moving as much" thing is hugely important. At the end of the day it does slow our metabolism and I know that just diet isn't going to do it for me. That's easy to say when you're starting to feel a little better and are able to at least walk a little but until about 4 weeks ago I simply wasn't able to and fighting against that is something I DON'T do as it does a lot of harm and certainly doesn't make me better any faster.

Katharine

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think I'm the odd one out as I loose weight when flaring. I've managed to loose over 1kg in the space of about 2 weeks - and I really can't afford to lose weight as it is :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I have been sick for 2 years but was diagnosed in May - since January I put on 20 pounds and I am not on steroids only plaquenil. It happened before the meds and I can't seem to do a darn thing about it - even when I do try 30 minutes of exercise and watching everything I eat...........it is like everything has slowed down and its very disheartening........

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi LLM,

It's worth having your thyroid checked if you feel 'everything has slowed down'................just a thought. Sometimes we overlook other things and blame everything on Lupus, some docs are guilty of that too.

love
Lily

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Lily,
Thanks for the reply - I am on synthroid and get the dosage checked regularly - I am hoping if and when I get a "handle" on the disease or at least the flare things will "work" better - Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Initially when I flared I put on weight, but as my lupus has got worse, I'm like Surferboy and lose weight. However, I find when I'm flaring I have no appetite and struggle to eat anything let alone what resembles a healthy diet.

I am hypothyroid too and because of my lupus my GP checks it every time I have my 3 monthly bloods done.

Hope you feel better soon.

Sammy

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
when i was in a bad flare i lost lots of weight, i mean lots.
it was only in time from being on prednislone that i have gained lots of weight. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! having saying all that im still here, and that what matters i know, but doesnt help,

i am going to start a slimming club this week. Lin xx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts