The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11 year old son has SLE and lupus nephritis. He was originally on 60mg of prednisone and now is taking 10mg per day. He is curious how quickly the weight and especially the moon face comes off while taking doses at 10mg and below. He exercises every day and watches his calorie intake very closely but he is very anxious to get back to his old self. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Beth:)

·
Registered
612 Posts
If he is exercising and eating healthy then he should not have a lot of problems getting the prednisone effects off. There isn't a time frame because it depends on the length of time your son has been on the prednisone and his body. I was on 60 mg of prednisone for over a yr and didn't gain any weight except the moon face and it took me about 6 months to get my body back to normal. I hope he continues to do well.

JEN

·
The vortex of insanity!
154 Posts
I also didn't gain any weight when I was on it, I was on it forEVER too, from ages 9 - 15, but basically i found when you get under around 10 the side effects pretty much leave, especially if you were on high doses before...One thing that was an issue is we kept getting down and then having to bounce back up. They also say the stunted growth stops when you get below 5 mg :) (I grew from uh 4'10 to 5'2, but that was after 5 years of the stuff.) if growth is a worry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for your responses. He has been on pred. for 7 months now and his weight is slowly coming down. He has a lot of determination and discipline when it comes to exercise and he is happy now that he is at the lower dosage and noticing the weight starting to come off.

Thanks again,
Beth:)

·
=)
31 Posts
hey.
i have also got SLE and lupus nephritis, and im on prednisolone too, been on about 3 months now. i also started on 60 mg and my face was huge but the rest of me was fine, i still have tht moon face tho even tho im only on 10ng!! tell him not to worry hehe xx

·
Stay Positive
79 Posts
For me, the weight fluctuates with the dose, I'm lucky not to have suffered with moonface to badly but I know that the weight gain is slower on 10mg than 20mg. I know how he feels though, I'm going skiing in 2 weeks and I've been desperately trying to get fit but its a never ending battle.

I think it will be quite quick, I'm still gaining weight on 10mg but nowhere near as much/as quick as on 20mg.

Hope this helps :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts