The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on Prednisone for the past 4mths and am in the process of reducing my dose. I started at 25mg/day and am currently on 10mg/day. I am hoping to get off it ASAP since I have to get off it anyway and it is causing huge amounts of weight gain despite my not eating any more than usual. In the past 2-3 months I have gained 10kg, and I was very overweight to begin with, I really can't afford to gain more!!!

Anyway, I was hoping to get some feedback on how easily you have been able to loose prednisone related weight once you came off it? I plan on eating healthily but probably won't be able to do a lot of exercise as I am still pretty crook as the plaquenil doesn't seem to have kicked in yet. Mind you it is possible it has and I just feel crappy because I flare every time I reduce my prednisone dose! I guess time will tell once I am off the prednisone completely.

Anyway, I would love some feedback, particularly from people who normally have trouble shifting weight. (I have PCOS which makes it harder than for the average person to loose weight)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Took me a month or two to lose the ~10 pounds I gained. Once you get to 7.5 or 5mg and less, you should be able to start losing the weight. The other thing to keep in mind is limiting salt intake, as you will retain more water with prednisone and moreso with a higher salt intake.

Are you on any medication for the PCOS and would that help with the weight issue? I know some people take metformin but I haven't heard if that helps with the weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight.

Good luck with your taper... :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been on Prednisone for 5 years now and i started at a dose of 40mg and now i am down to 5mg except when i have flare ups then my doctor puts me on 30mg for a week, so i am always changing my dose of Prednisone. I gained weight like crazy when i was first on Prednisone, i think i gained close to 20 pounds and i was an active kid and i just kept gaining and gaining finally about 2 years ago as i was slowly going down on the Prednisone i really saw that my weight was coming down i lost about 30lbs in a year. One of the easier things was for me because i ended up being in the hospital for a week and all they did was flush fluids through me and that got rid of a lot of my water weight... not saying you have to put yourself in the hospital to lose weight. haha It will come off over time and you might even gain a couple lbs here and there. I am down to 5mg and sometimes i find myself gaining a couple lbs and then losing it. I am also on Plaqunil but that has yet to do absolutely anything for me. I just started Cellcept and i like it so far. Only time will tell. I hope that this was helpful for you and if not i am sorry. haha

--lupuskid :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I was diagnosed right after New Years this year I was put on 60mg of Pred for a month before being able to see a Rhemy. He then started me dropping down 10mg every two weeks. So I was on more than 40mg of Pred for two months.

I lost 15 pounds. I even went back to the doc with a "everyone else on Pred gains weight, I am losing it like crazy... what ELSE is wrong with me???".

Due to high blood pressure, I have been on Lotrel for ages. Lotrel is two drugs - Norvasc and Lotensin. One of them (not sure which) is a mild diuretic (I have been told). I am wondering if that is why I did not retain the water that most people do on Pred? That being said, I am very careful with my salt intake due to the high blood pressure so that may have helped too.

Not telling people to ask for Lotrel when they go on Pred but that is the only other drug I was taking (besides Nexium for acid reflux) when I was started on the Pred and I didnt gain weight.

Best,

dave

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
(((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))) frist as i know how your feeling ,it makes you feel fat and horrible doesnt it? Well once you get down under 7and half you should start to fel like you can get somewhere, im same as you right now, im on 10mg, waiting to go back see rheumy and praying he lowers it

I will of course then join a slimming club again, but not till then as the cost, plus figting a lossing battle against drugs, i have 2 putting my weight on im sure of it pred and keppra grrrrrrrrrrr!!

i wish you luck, let me know if it starts comming off im right behind you lol:)

take care Lin xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much everyone for your feedback, it is good to know that it is not TOO hard to get the weight off after prednisone. I am just coming off a pretty major flare after my last drop in dosage which got me to the 10mg, so I am not looking forward to the next drop! The flares seem to be getting worse each time.

I have been on Metformin for PCOS but stopped it recently because of being on so many drugs at the moment I thought since the Met wasn't doing much anyway with all the other drugs I am on I may as well stop it, but I might start taking it again once I am off the prednisone in the hopes it helps with the weight loss. It has never helped me loose weight but it has helped me maintain it. Hopefully in this instance it might help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts