TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, I'm not sure if this is my first ever lupus rash or whether it's my eczema flaring up. But over the last week or so I've had these red blotches coupled with small spots/pimples on my back, chest and around my stomach area. Very itchy also. Never had this kind of rash before. Worrying thing is that it's prominent around the kidney area :(

Thing is the sun has not been out much, and even when it shone through ever so slightly I was fully clothed. And I have no marks on my face at all, which was exposed! This is the reason why I'm unsure of it being a lupus flare also.

I am hoping its just something like food that I have reacted to - or maybe the preds!

I'm going to put on some of my steroid cream tonight and see if that makes a difference.

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Surferboy,

Take pics of it and write down when it showed and went away.

Do you think it could be heat rash? I am just throwing my random thoughts.;)

Hopefully it will go away soon,

Hang in there.
Lyn

·
Lisa_S
441 Posts
Hey Surfer Boy - just to reassure you, I have kidney involvement and to my knowledge there isn't a correlation at all between where your rash occurs and whether or not your kidneys are affected. (It would be nice to have an external sign like that though - it might have spared me a biopsy or two...:rotfl:)

My rash appears pretty randomly whether I've been exposed to sun or not, and mine is also itchy. My most recent one disappeared as soon as I was back on prednisone.

But I agree with Lyn - take a photo for your doc. they always disappear on me the morning of a doctors appointment.

Cheers,

Lisa

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Since I applied some steroid cream the rash has gone down a lot :) Still there a touch, but a lot better.

Oesa, quick question about your kidney involvement please; do you get any kind of pains or twinges from the involvement? Any swelling around the area? Any signs what-so-ever?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi,

I can't answer for Oesa, but in my case no signs such as you mention :) If it's a really bad bout of it I get a rise in BP and swelling in my feet/ankles, maybe a puffy face. That's about it really. My involvement is mild as it corrects itself mostly after a short period and I don't have a lot of protein loss on urinalysis.

love
Lily

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Kidney problems are often detected only at regular urine tests because there are usually no initial signs. Occasional protein loss is common. There is no point asking an individual what they have experienced to try to gauge what you have going on, sometimes called self diagnosing.

But there is no rash on the area, pain or swelling associated with lupus kidney disease. Pain is more likely due to other things

Common signs of lupus kidney disease might be frequency especially at night and frothy urine, swelling in lower limbs especially increasing during day, maybe tiredness, sickness maybe itching, high BP.

If you have any concerns get a urine test done for reassurance and peace of mind. I have some specimen bottles and order forms from GP so I can get test done any time , (not for lupus though, other reasons,) - they have to go to the hospital but I think a practice nurse can usually do a dip stick on the spot.

Of course any swellings or the signs above should be reported to doc.
Cheers
Clare

1 - 6 of 6 Posts