The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Silly little thing but I went swimming yesterday and... I didn't drown!! :hehe:

Seriously though, the last time I tried swimming, I couldn't do a WIDTH never mind a length (and no they're not Olympic sized pools). I seriously thought I'd drown, my lungs were hurting/burning and my arms just didn't have the strength to take me anywhere... I used to be a good/strong swimmer.

Yesterday I managed 1/2 a length breaststroke, then 1/2 backstroke (no arms), then 1 breaststroke (I'm hopeless at breaststroke) then 2 crawl and I am completely thrilled by my 10/15 mins of glory!!! :rotfl: I did a few exercises in between and then called it a day.

Today my muscles can feel it (tomorrow might be worse) but I know it won't be the huge exaggerated reaction that I can sometimes have to the slightest of things.

As for the breathing, well, it's fine!! Maybe the fact that it was a NON CHLORINATED pool helps.

anyways, there's my silly happy news for the day :)

Katharine

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Congratulations Katharine! Was this part of your physical therapy? Swimming would definitely be a good way for you to get exercise and be easier on your feet at the same time.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am so happy to hear of your swimming...I too went back into the pool today and hadn't been since March..Rheumo said I can water walk only...I broke out in 3 lesions but oh the water felt great...Before I was working on swimming 1 mi/day and achieved 22 laps/day...then Lupus cut me down like a knife BUT I will return after if I can get this into remission and become stronger and better than ever..good luck and be careful not to overdo...:)

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Well done Katharine. Im hoping to go swimming tomorrow night but it all depends on whether I can muster up the energy after work. So far I have attempted two other Wednesday nights but I just couldn't manage it because I had no energy left at the end of the day. Still....Im going to attempt it again tomorrow night. I will keep trying every Wednesday till I get there!

Here's hoping!

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
11,410 Posts
Good job Katharine.:) Swimming is the best exercise.

As for the breathing, well, it's fine!! Maybe the fact that it was a NON CHLORINATED pool helps.
That would be great to find that kind of pool.:swim:

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all :)

I'm still fine today - muscles are a bit sore as they were yesterday but not bad sore.

One thing I'm hoping swimming might "halt" is the steadily increasing muscle weakness around the thorax region which makes my breathing worse every time I'm tired or flare. They are the main muscles feeling sore right now.

It's not part of my physio regime but docs do keep going on about it so I thought I had to try sometime and it is indeed very kind on my feet. It's difficult for me as it's not recommended for many things including my shoulders (crawl) and hips (breaststroke). Chlorinated pools are also a definite no no for breathing and my skin which just goes so dry it feels like it doesn't fit any more :lol: I don't know how I'll feel about it in winter when it's -20°c outside!

The thing that was so lovely was the ease of movement and almost "graceful" feeling it gives when compared to my difficulty being supple or graceful on dry land.

Katharine

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Katharine,

So glad your experience was good and hope that you can keep it up!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi Katherine,
Good for you!! I am also glad that it has not made too sore.

I have the same experience actually with chlorine, the drying and tightening of my skin and itching.

I hope this also does help you regain some muscle strength. My friend with RA start swimming regularly and it did help him with this and stifness a bit.

Good Luck

Take Care

Cassie :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.