TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Nettyunicorn
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just thought i would start a thread about the importance of understanding how to take meds!

shall i explain!

well last fri went to my GP coz was feeling pretty rough, pitting edema on my legs had got worse and pain was fairly high. Well Bp was checked and Doctor concerned that it as so high although on 3 different types of meds for that! He seemed to think that this was the cause of edema! So he took me off those meds and prescribe a different one! Well i explain about pain and that although amitriptyline was helping me fall asleep i would wake in pain and continue to be groggy most of the morning, therefore i felt i could not take anymore drugs for i need to function at work.
He then offererd me an alternative drug called Gabapentin. He said it would make me less drowsy.
Right now here comes the crunch! I though he said take 1 the first night then 2 the next and 3 the next and continue with 3 from then. So i dutifully took 1 the first night without much effect and did not get any sleep as pain was high but perservered and took 2 the ext night! i did manage to get some sleep and yes i was less groggy but pain still high but dr did think i could be heading for a flare! So next night took 3! Oh boy when i attempted to wake, get my children ready for school it was as though i was drunk outta my skull! i phoned work said i didnt know what was wrong but could not come to work.
Slept until 2pm ad woke still drowsy. Ah i thought just a little side effect will get use to them and hey my pain had decreased. But by wed after taking 3 pills a night i could not functionand went back to see doctor. A friend helping me. Anyway my BP has lowered, so those meds seem to be working (Happy) but when i exlain as best i could about my symptoms and me suggesting perhaps i was these new meds she agreed. Then she looked at me with a questioning look and said! "did you say you take these at night?" "Yes!"
"Well i think there lies your problem, you should be taking 1 pill 3x a day!" I was so embarrased. Not only had i not understood dr plaining how to take them but i also read the prescription direction lable wrong. I had been over dosing in a big way!
So i a now taking t correctly and time will tell if they help, but am no longer i a constant drunk like state.

PLEASE EVERYONE ENSURE YOU UNDERSTAND HOW TO TAKE YOUR MEDS

It could have been alot worse for me, i was stupid and lucky too!

Netty (very embarrassed! xxx

·
Registered
416 Posts
Netty,

I recently started gabapentin and completely understand how you made this mistake. I'm glad the problem was figured out before things got worse!

Barb

·
Nettyunicorn
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the kind words but oh my i feel really stupid!:oops:

take care!

Nettyxxxx

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Netty

I'm glad you managed to sort the dose out! It's an easy mistake to make. I was put on these a while ago (have since stoppped) and I remember my GP going over upping the dose and how many to take etc etc.. and it sure does get confusing:hehe:

Even now on my new meds I find it so confusing how many I've taken and at what time of day so I write it down. A little silly but if I have one of those days that my brain is mush I can't remember stuff so at least I have something to refer to to double check:lol:

Life was so much easier before illness kicked in:lol:

Take care Netty Mrs M x

PS you're not stupid at all!

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Netty,

I think we've all done some "sillies" at some stage or another but you're quite right that we need to be extra cautious with meds.

Thanks for telling your story as I'm sure it remind us to be doubly careful.

Katharine

·
Nettyunicorn
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have now set my phone alarm to remind me when to take my meds!

Thanks everyone!

Nettyxxx

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I too can understand the mistake. I'm on Gabapentin 1x3 times a day but have to increase week by week until I'm up to 900mg a day. Thankfully Hubby was with me when the doc explained how to increase the dose as I was totally lost.

I've been feeling increased tiredness but not sure if it's down to the increased Gabapentin, other meds, lupus or my anaemia.....who knows?

I also have a large pill organiser as I now take 30 tablets a day and do forget.

It is so easy done so don't be too hard on yourself.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Nettyunicorn
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gosh you have been given weeks to get up to 900mg, i had 3 days! although was supposed to be spread throughout day not all at once! lol :eek:

can so at moment 300 mg not doing much! we will see!:rolleyes:

Take care :rotfl:

nettyxxx

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Netty,

I have made mistakes in taking my meds. One time (before I got a daily pill box) sitting there and wondering if I had taken my heart pill. I didn't take it, figured if I had already that might cause some trouble if I had taken a second pill.

You are right we need to be careful understanding on how and when we should be taking our meds.

Last time I was at the rhumey he increased my methotrexate and I totally misunderstood what mg's I was to take. Thankfully hubby was along and straightened me out.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
:eek: Yes it's easy to misunderstand directions and really docs should write it down for us!

More often than not Gabapentin (Neurontin) will be increased slowly over some weeks to find a nice balance with it and treat the symptoms with the least possible dosage. It's really effective for nerve related pain but has a short half life hence the 3xdaily dosing. Taking it once a day is not very effective and boy I can understand how bombed out you must have felt :hehe: taking it all at once.

Good luck with it, it's been very good for me pain wise.

love
Lily

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi Netty, I too am on Gabapentin, I am increasing to 1200 per day. Must admit it did knock me for six at first but getting used to it.

Sending you gentle hugs

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Netty and all,
This is SUCH an important issue. Years ago a family friend was seeing 5 different doctors. Each one told her to take 2 darvon compd every 4 hours. SO, you figured it out, she was taking 10 every 4 hours!

It is so important to have a med list typed out to give a copy of it to each of your doctors or other providers. My massage therapist has one in my file, my psych therapist has one in her file. When I went for phys therapy a few years back, he had a copy in his file, and the gym where I was a member had a copy in their file. My meds all come from ONE pharmacy. If you have to use more than one pharmacy, make sure you identify which meds are from which pharmacy. If a refill prescription does not look like what you have been taking, and the pharmacy did not identify that there was a change in look, then call. Years back, I had a refill and the med did not look "right" and I called, and found that a temp pharmacist had switched bottle spots. So, had I taken the med, it would not have been what I was to have gotten.

I had to go to the ER several years back for an injury and the ER doctor was SO happy to have everything identified as was the emergency personnel who transported me.

I list my meds under the prescribing doctor, speciality, and phone #. That way, if there is any question on meds, the doctors know which doctor to contact. It just makes it so much easier to have all that info at hand and not to have to fill out on a new patient form every med I take daily. It's less now than it was years back, but this still makes life much easier. I take a new list to each doctor after the first of the year. That way I know I have gotten them all updated.
Sally

·
Registered
279 Posts
I too have a copy of my meds with me at all times. Think you can get something called medi alert bracelet.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
My own mistake happened decades ago after major dental surgery. I was so discombobulated that I misread the pain killer instructions and took a whole day's dose in one go. I can truthfully say I felt nothing at all for at least five hours, in a coma I should think! In those days I knew very little and it never even crossed my mind about liver damage or whatever.

I am right neurotic these days checking out and writing down what doc says and checking with pharmacist too if in any doubt. I hope the Gabapentine proves very helpful

Hugs
Clare

·
Nettyunicorn
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for the replies and thanks to you all for helping me to feel less foolish!
I shall pay more attention in future! lol
I have found a program where you acquire a little medical container that contains a form to fill in with a breif medical history, medications being taken and next of kin contact numbers. This is kept in fridge or other easily accessable place. A sticker that has a medical symbol on and place where container is kept. is then place on front door that medical professional rcognise and a able to find list!
Medi braclet etc sounds good for when out and about!

Nettyxxx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts