The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having swollen glands in my neck & armpits. They last only a few days, but come in groups. (They may ache, burn, or feel like I am being pinched.) I have had this for years. I had an episode three weeks ago. It lasted for 10 days. (I did not know I was pregnant at that time). My throat burned only on my right side. It felt like I had something stuck in my throat which made me feel like I had to constantly cough. I coughed up clear mucous. I did not have a cold. (I also had a sore in my mouth & nose, rash on my neck & face) Then I had a migraine for 2 days. I then had a miscarriage. (1-2 months along).

I frequently suffer from a rash on my neck and on the right side on my face- cheek bone, especially during an episode. Even strangers have made comments about my red face. I just figured that I got overheated easily, because I am obese. My father & I have low thyroid & suffer from bouts of itchy skin. I also have polycystic ovaries. Every time I go in the sun, I get headaches. I am also very sensitive to the environment. (allergies- including sulfa, rashes/swollen glands). I have noticed that my swollen glands appear more often durring my menstral cycle.

In high school I was frequently sick- partial fainting/tunnel vision, severe paleness, lightheaded, loss of balance (especially with eyes closed), hiatal hernia, bad migraines, irritable bowl syndrome, reactive low blood sugar, asthma, & rapid vision loss. I missed almost a full year of school. The doctor never understood, why I was so ill. He mainly blamed it on my low blood sugar.

As an adult, I have partial fainting spells very rarely, with loss of balance. I was diagnosed with low thyroid. The Florida doctor felt swollen glands in my throat, and wanted me to get more testing, but I moved hear instead. The doctors here do not believe me & think it is all stress related. Years ago, I was tested & found to have low iron , Potassium, & I cannot remember what else. (My 10 year old son also has low iron, even though he eats plenty of
meat. I hope he does not get my symptoms later.) A couple of years ago when my throat swelled up, the ER gave me Prednizone. It took the swelling down & the swollen lymph nodes went away on my neck & under my armpits. Later a CAT scan showed small swollen lymph nodes after I had been on Prednizone for a couple of days (premedicated). The ears, nose, throat doctor told me it was nothing and the feeling of having a swollen throat, was all stress related. He did see two spots on the CAT scan that he did not know what they were. He wanted to have me retested in six months, but then I got pregnant. I called him, but it sounds like he thinks getting the CAT scan is no longer necessary.

I was diagnosed with depression years prior, after being raped. Since I was a prior mental case, the doctors don't seem to take me serious here.

For years I have been having strange symptoms. Doctors here seem not to take me serious, so I hate going to the doctor. I do not go very often. For years, I have not told them about my symptoms, afraid they would think I am crazy. (Then I told my Primay most of my symptoms, so she could diagnoise me, and then she acted like I was a hypocondriac.) When the doctors just say its stress related, it makes me think I am just crazy & I should just ignore my symptoms. But now, I have miscarried a baby I have been hoping to have for years. (I will not ignore my miscarriage. For 10 years I prayed that I would get pregant.). I want & hope to get pregnant again, but I need to know what is going on, so I do not miscarry again. What should I do?

I am still suffering from swollen neck glands. In the past, after my neck glands swells, my neck then swells. It feels sort of like I am being choked. It makes me lightheaded and I get strong pressure in my head. It then causes a headache. I am trying not to take the prednizone, that I saved for an emergency. Seven months ago, when my throat swelled up, I ended up in the ER. I was given Prednizone, and my symptoms improved. Then My primary doctor tested me for ANA, and it was negative. She did not believe I had lupus, she did it, to satisfy me. (In fact, when I brought in a paper with my symptoms on it, she did not even read it all. It was the first time I told a doctor about my symptoms since childhood. I am now forty.)

Now she says I do not have Lupus, and she will not refer me to a Rheumy.

Does it sound like I have Lupus? Or am I psychotic with pseudo symptoms?

What should I do?

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site. I am glad you found us here. I want to start by saying sorry that you have had such a rough time of things and that your just not feeling well. Nothing worse then being sick with no good reason why it is happening. This is more than frustrating!!!!

You sure sound like you have something auto immune going on and it sounds to me like your GP needs to be more educated in auto immune illness. A negative ANA does NOT mean that you do not have Lupus or another auto immune disease going on. There are some folks with Lupus that never have a positive ANA but instead may be diagnosed by a skin biopsy.

I think if I were you I would find another GP and go from there. It sounds like your GP is working against you, not for you. I think I would look for a whole new practice and start fresh.

You know your body best and if you don't feel well then do not settle for a doctor with a less then perfect attitude that thinks a negative ANA means your healthy. Fight the fight and find a good doctor, one who really listens. Good luck moving forward and keep us posted as to how you make out.:wink2:

Also, one thing that can cause migraines and miscarriages is APS and I wonder if you have ever been tested for this? (Antiphospholipid Syndrome) There are certain antibodies that test positive when you have APS, also known as Hughes Syndrome. Google it and see what you come up with. Many of your symptoms sound like this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.