The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Last time I was here, I was complaining about fatigue... well, now I've got a rash. :(

Does Lupus rash look like hives? Can it occur just on your neck?

I woke up this morning to discover a hives-like rash on the right side of my neck. It itches like CRAZY! I also have a little bit of rash on the left side of my neck, and on my upper chest; plus a little bit of redness on my nose, between the eyes toward the forehead, and on the right side of my face. Not a lot of redness, just a little--I probably wouldn't even notice it if I wasn't looking for it. And something else... the past 2 or 3 mornings, I've noticed a "warm" feeling on the right side of my face, around the eye area. I thought maybe it was sinus related, but now I'm not so sure.

Of course I've also considered contact dermatitis. It could be my shampoo or maybe the anti-acne medicine (Clearasil) I just started using recently, to see if it would help with my breakouts. Although it was 3 or 4 days ago that I used it last.

I've taken my usual Claritin for allergies. I've also taken a bath to wash away and potential contact problem. And I've tried both topical Benadryl and hydrocortizone (not at the same time :) ). It's not getting better. If it was something I ate, I would think the hives would be more widespread.

I figure I will see a doctor if 1) it gets worse, 2) it doesn't get better, or especially 3) if it starts looking like a "mask". But until then, all I can do is wait.

Can anyone enlighten me?

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi,

I'm just dashing off somewhere but just wanted to say that you obviously need to get it looked at if it doesn't disappear but ESPECIALLY take photos of it to add to your med notes and file. These things are never there on the doc's appointment day so a good picture - a thousand words as they say....

Katharine

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi Sara

Sounds like a lupus rash to me. But have you had other symptoms also like joints aching. Two types of lupus though. Discoid, Systemic and there is a Drug induced lupus also. Might pay to see a dermatoligist and get this checked just in case it is lupus. Welcome to the site and good luck finding out the problem. Sure sounds like a lupus rash to me!

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi i have the rash on my neck and chest we had a post on it the other day as some of us have it on diffrent parts of our bodies.As Katharine said get someone to take a picture of it and take it with you on your next appointment hope you get answers soon Best Wishes To You Elisabeth

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi

There is no such thing as "the" lupus rash. People with lupus get several sorts of rashes, some being exclusive to lupus (like the malar rash and discoid rash - if biopsy proved), others caused by lupus in people who have lupus, but caused by other things too. Hives is one such rash. Sometimes people with lupus will get hives, but so do many other people without lupus.

If you want to know what the cause of a rash is, you need to see a dermatologist.

X C X

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi SongMom, so sorry to hear that you have that troublesome itch. Actually,
it could be just about anything. First, have someone take pictures-close-ups,
of the rash, and keep them set aside just in case you get to a Rheumy. Right
now, go to see a Dermy, Ihave one that is like my right arm, he is so great.
For a Dermy, skin is his speciality, that's all he does, give it a try. Let us know.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! Well, I DID finally go see a doctor... actually a PA... who said it looked like a localized allergic reaction and put me on Prednisone. My question is, how long does it take for the Pred to start taking affect?

I ask because my hives are 10X WORSE than they were yesterday. I've got this horrible blistery-like redness all over my neck and upper chest. I've also got little bits on my chin, forehead, and the right edge of my face... maybe on the bridge of my nose. The itch on my neck and chest is absolutely driving me NUTS!!! I don't know how much more of this I can take! I've tried putting all kinds of things on it--cortizone, ice, baking soda (yes, I'm desperate), aloe vera--but nothing seems to be doing diddly-squat. :worried: If anything, it just keeps getting worse.

I've already gotten my hubby to take photos--one yesterday and one this morning. Called a dermy but can't get in until next month! For today, I actually scheduled another appt with an MD... he's my bro-in-law! It takes an hour to drive there, but I'm hoping it'll be worth it!

As for other symptoms... yes, I've had pain and fatigue for more than 4 years now. I am hoping and PRAYING that this rash will, perhaps, FINALLY get me the dx I so desperately want!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts