TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been slightly photosensitive and have needed sunscreen when being out in the sun. I always have the red checks from the rash but as long as I had sunscreen on I wasn't too bad. I've been flaring for about a year and have been on MTX (along with multiple other meds) now for almost 7 weeks. I was in the sun today and had on a hat along with sunscreen and a long sleeves. I feel horrendous now. I'm absolutely exhausted and my joints are killing me. Could this be from the sun? Is it possible to get more photosensitive with time? What other options do I have to avoid the sun? I have a 3 & 4 year old who love the outdoors so keeping them indoors is not an option.

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
I can have problems even if I am covered up and wearing sunscreen. Limiting my time out before 10 AM and after 4 PM makes it less likely I will have a reaction. Even then I try to stay in the shade as much as possible. I suggest you plan indoor activities for the time period when the sun is the strongest.

Some medications increase sun sensitivity. The following site does say some people become more sensitive when on Methotrexate. It is impossible to say, but it may have made you more sensitive than you previously were.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR600919/DSECTION=precautions-

Take care,
Lazylegs

1 - 2 of 2 Posts