TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I haven't been here for awhile, the winter was hard on my health.

I was pulled off my prednisone in January due to dx of diabetes, my health insurance took three months to approve taking Lyrica, which helped in the beginning, but is not as effective now, my BP has risen so they have increased my meds for that ( I suspect that if I felt better and not in so much pain that my BP would be back to more normal ) and to top it off, I am not getting the relief from the metho that I used to. I would put up with the vomiting and fatique when it helped my joints, but is no longer doing that AND it is causing my liver enzymes to be sky high. My doc has called me for the last two weeks after my blood draw and said to not take my metho due to my blood work. I am to see him this Friday.

Does anyone know what drug of choice might be considered next?? I kind of want to be prepared with some knowledge before being given a medicine that I don't know anything aobut.

I just realized that I must have registered for this site twice somewhere along the line. I am MALI (malicas), like I said I haven't been here in awhile. I will try to remember my other registration.

Thank you in advance.

Blessings,

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
HI:

I am sorry that you are having such a rough time. There are several steroid sparing options, although each has their drawbacks, they also offer great results for many.

Imuran, Arava, CellCept are the ones that come in pill form. There are others that are done by injection or infusion, but as I understand, those are only used for severe organ involvement or when all the others have been tried.

I am sure people with much more knowledge and information will be along soon.

There is also a thread on here about our drug diary...I will find the thread and attach a link here.

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69867

Hope this helped - Stephanie

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I wonder why they would take you off the steroids with the diabetes diagnosis. I had controlled type 2 diabetes before I started the steroids. We've had to up my med dosage but that is more because I eat more than just the steroids. I feel its a fair trade considering all the steroids do for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They told me that the prednisone induced my diabetes and that by taking me off of them that I might be able to be diet controlled. That was in January. I was on 20 mg a day. So far my sugars haven't dropped since being weened off the prednisone and looks like I might be headed to controlling it with medication. I will find out this Friday. I have a family history of diabetes and a history of gestational diabetes with 2 of 3 of my children. I was most likely headed that way anyway, that the prednisone "hurried" my inevitable diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Mali,

I remember you!:) That, is really something for me..:)

You really have had a terrible time of it. I am sorry, to hear.

I hope they tell you, that you don't have to take medication for your blood glucose levels Mali.

Love,
Sandy :flowery:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Sandy! I remeber you too! I am a bit nervous, but we will see. I will be back later tonight to post the results of my appointments. Thanks for the response.

Mali

1 - 7 of 7 Posts