The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I have only heard of this in specific connection with autoimmune thyroid disease but it looks as though it can be present in other autoimmune diseases including autoimmune connective tissue diseases like lupus and similar ones. Thyroid disease is not uncommon along with lupus etc.
There are about 100 autoimmune diseases of various and very different sorts. If the presence of these antibodies was a feature of lupus I rather think we would hear about them in connection with lupus much more than we do. They are not listed on the criteria lists for example. I might be quite wrong but I doubt their presence has any value in diagnosing lupus.
The results of almost all blood tests have to be interpreted along with other test results aas well as signs or symptoms.

What was the titre of the positive ANA tests you have had and do you know why lupus or similar was excluded ? I wonder what other tests have been ordered and why the doctor thought Anti microsomal would be useful.

Bye for now :)
Clare

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not exactly sure what my results were for my ana but i knwo they said it was positive and a "speckled" pattern. I also have raynauds and the swelling of my joint and the fatigue and what not. I just read what diseases that test tests for and i only fit the criteria of lupus, which makes me kind of paranoid but at least i don't have a goiter. However, i am being sent to an endocrinologist and hopefully he can shed some light on the situation. Thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
As was described on another thread on this board, I will suggest that you do the following between now and your visit with the endocrinologist.
* write down ALL the symptoms that you have had going in the last month.
* take a picture of any rashes you have,
* if you are having pain, rate it on a 1-10 scale. Keep track of this a few times a day and list each one on a rate scale
* stay OUT of the sun for now. lupus can be triggered by sunlight
* rate how you are sleeping, are you waking in pain or discomfort?, rate it on 1-10 [again]
* are you reacting to sunlight, ultraviolet lights, fluorescent lighting? If you use the "cfl" bulbs in your house, replace them with standard bulbs. [the wave length the cfl bulbs use can trigger sun type reaction for many sle patients]
* anything else you may be having going on.....take care of you first

Read the 11 criteria for sle. Check off any you are matching up with. If you go to 4 or more, with OR without lab work, then that can constitute a diagnosis of sle.

Take all this with you to your doctor appt. Go over every one with him/her. This is important and do not let them brush you off.

Good luck,
Sally

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Sally gave you really good advice and there is nothing I can add to what she has said other then "Welcome to the site".

I hope to get to know you better and hope you get as much out of being here as I have. The support and knowledge you will find is just wonderful.

Join us in the chat room sometime and good luck moving ahead.:wink2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.