TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my urine test came out with a high white blood cells.

has anybody got these results before? my doctor wants me to repeat the test and he said it was also dirty.:( help

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Sushi

White blood cells usually mean urine infection. That's been the case for me.
Do you think you have any symptoms at all of a urinary tract infection even mild ones like lower stomach discomfort, generally out of sorts and extra tired or slightly increased frequency ? It is possible to have a UTI without the usual very obvious symptoms.

" Dirty" - my goodness, he does go in for high falutin' talk doesn't he!:lol: This could be a reference to it not being a "clean catch" as they say and getting contaminated with skin cells and bits and bobs from the outside.

See

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/examinations/urinesample.htm

So what has been suggested ? Another specimen?

Let us know how it goes
Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Sushi

The only other time one would hear a reference to 'dirty' urine (in my experience) would be that if it tested positive for traces of opiates. Codeine pain killers come up positive for opiates in the same way heroin would but I cant imagine him carrying out a toxicology screen??

Im sure he didnt mean that - more likely Clare's explanation but ask him what he meant and what can you do the next time to make sure its a clean catch.

Cheers
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Funnily enough I heard 'dirty' used like this on the news this morning talking about Lance Armstrong.
Very by the way, this urine sample carry on is the one time in my life I wish I was a man, oh well, I suppose finding a toilet in general too, but this especially.
My doctor's is very fussy about presenting the sample in one of the proper sterile tubes. I got a supply from the practice nurse but I wonder, if it's in a glass bottle as thoroughly clean as possible, including bottle cap would it really make any difference ? Then you could simply transfer it to their little tube without all the palaver.

:)

Clare

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you clare, and joandublin. when i went take the urine test i had to pee in a cup and then transfer it to a small tube.

the nurses didnt expain exactly how this should be done.
my rhymy expained exactly how to this.

clare i have no discomfort. no symptoms

Joan, makes more sense that the urine was dirty because of the way i collected the urine. thanks

he also said this can be inflamation caused by the lupus.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hey Sushi,

Inflammation caused by lupus usually presents itself in urine tests in the form of red blood cells (i.e. blood) that can either be gross (i.e. visible to the eye usually in the form of a brownish-red specimen) or microscopic and so not visible to the eye (i.e. not visible to the eye) and/or loss of protein (i.e. proteinuria) which, if sufficient, can make the urine appear foamy.

White blood cells like Clare and Joan have already mentioned are normally a sign of a UTI but could also mean you need to repeat the test to get an accurate result! :)

Hope the new test goes ok! :)

Zoi

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you, thank you, thank you, Zoi

i hope everythings going well for you

take care, Lydia

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its been about a week since i took my second urine test. and the doctor hasnt gotten back to me. they were closing the office for a couple of days due to Jewish holiday. is it possible that my test came out clear this time (no white blood cells). or once the white blood cells there mean it will be there unless treated?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hey Sushi,

If the previous sample was contaminated then it's more than possible that this test will be ok. If the previous sample's white blood cells were there because of a UTI then they will probably still be there and you might need some antibiotics to clear the UTI up.

If there was a problem with your test that required immediate medical attention and was urgent then the doc's office would have gotten in touch with you until now! :)

Hope you're doing well,

Zoi

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just found out that my doctors office is closed (vacation) until the end of the month and im not sure if my urine test came back on time for them to see them.

what should i do? should i wait until the end of the month? or should i let my gp know about this?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hey Sushi,

Do you have any UTI symptoms? Burning, discomfort etc? If you do then it might be an idea for you to call your GP and let him know, if not then I'd wait until the end of the month until the doctor's office opens agains.

Of course if you are very concerned about this, then by all means call your GP and let him know so you can have some answers sooner.

Zoi

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow zoi that was some quick response thank you. no i have no symptoms what so ever no burning, itching ect.

i think im going to wait until they reopen the office. thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts