The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please let me know what meds have helped the most in each lupus case i am baffled to know what the **** to take that will help the most and somewhat put the lupus in remission if possibe.

·
11,410 Posts
Hi Richrich,

I moved your post so it wouldn't get lost with someones else post. You will get more replies this way.

As lupus effects us all differently so do the meds that we are on?

Maybe if you could give more information about the meds you are talking about, that would be helpful.

Take care,
Lyn

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Hi Rich,

The type of medication used depends on your set of symptoms. Typically Plaquenil is the first line of defense. Since is takes so long to take hold some doctors will add Prednisone or one of the NSAIDS to get you through that period. Beyond that point it depends on your symptoms and the doctors preference of which drugs to use.

Each of us responds differently to the various medications. What is a wonder drug for one person barely touches the disease for another. You really should partner with your rheumy to work to find the best medication cocktail for you.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
212 Posts
Totally agree with what Lazy legs said. I have 'mild' lupus (no evidence of organ involvement), diagnosed about 2 months ago and been on Plaquenil for about a month and a half. My GP prescribed diclofenac (a NSAID) and it's working wonders for me. I did a little experiment and didn't take it for a whole day and I was in excruciating pain. I do have a lot of headaches though now, probably a side effect of the plaquenil. But it's better than the alternative, which is crying with pain on a daily basis.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi richrich,

While it is very true that the meds vary in their effectiveness for each of us, I do understand your need to know what we're taking. It's just that much more information that you have to talk to your doctor about. Sometimes doctors don't volunteer all the information they should. For instance, my rheumy never told me I could split my dose of MTX to make it easier on my stomach but when I read about others who do that and asked him about it, he said it was fine to do that. If I didn't know what some of the others were doing, I wouldn't have known to ask about it. So, sometimes it really does help to learn about others' experiences with their meds as well.

Anyway, I was put on 400 mg. Plaquenil and 20 mg. MTX right from the start, which worked just OK. Switching to injectible MTX helped more, but the 200 mg. of Imuran I'm on now is what is working best. You'll find your own mix that works for you, but be patient. It took two years for me to get to this point. It may not take you that long (I hope not) but you do have to be patient.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.