The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'm too busy at work to search! :sad:

I currently just take 200mg of Plaquenil a day but I don't take any pain relief. Anyway this weekend the pain has been really bad so I just wondered what everyone takes and what over the counter stuff you would recommend until I can get to the rheumy / doctor?

Thank you as always.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi becks!

I take 3x400mg of ibuprofen daily, have been taking them for 15 years. should really try something else but others I've tried had made me feel ill.

some days I also take co-codamol, paracetomol and before bed I take codeine phosphate if I'm flared up as they can make you sleepy.

I hope you don't wait too long to see your rheumy becks and your pain eases soon
hugs to you :hug:
love karen x

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi:

Sorry you are in such pain.

Your rhumy may try anti-inflamatories or anti-depressants as a first step to try to get your pain under control. If those don't work, the next step might be main meds, it all depends on the pain and your rhumy.

Please when you express your pain to the Dr try to be really descriptive...like..it is a continual dull ache at about a 4 out of 10 but when I am tired its more constant and can go as high as 8 out of 10...o something like that as long as it expresses the amount of time it hurst, where it hurts and how bad it hurts.

Anyway, to answer your question, I take cymbalta 70mg ad day tremadol (Ultram) 150mg 3X a day and Vicodin 750 if it gets really bad. The trick is to take your pain meds, even if you don't hurt, as it keeps it managable.

Hope you get some relif soon - Stephanie

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I take 10mg Percocet as needed for pain and 60mg Baclofen for muscle spasm issues.

Hope you get relief soon. Sorry your in so much pain.:sad:

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am on the Fentenyl patch (100 mg) right now because of the paracarditis. I also have 4mg of hydromorphone that I can take for break through pain. Before the paracarditis, I was taking 18 mg of hydromorphone contin (long lasting). It works well. I also started taking Lyrica as I developed nerve pain in my knees. This has to build up in your system, but there are very few drugs that relieve nerve pain. As I've learned, there are no pain killers per se that will alleviate nerve pain. Lyrica works on your shutting down your central nervous system.

So, as someone mentioned, it important to describe the pain as thoroughly as possible because that will determine the right medications for you.

Good luck.

Nutty

·
Inky
249 Posts
Hi,

I take paracetamol (2 x 500mg) four times a day with Dihydrocodeine (2 x 30mg) at the same time. Plus an anti-inflammatory (Arcoxia) once a day which has helped a bit. Taking pain meds radically improved my ability to do things. When I just took an anti-malarial or prednisilone the pain was there all the time. It breaks through though. The paracetamol/codiene combination takes around 30mins or more to "kick in" then wears off after a couple of hours so pain for me is a bit up and down. It is worse now cos I am flaring I think.

Resting regularly, even for 10 minutes, really helps. (Proper rest, feet up doing nothing). ;) And learning to pace, when to stop and slow down (which I am really bad at). There are also pain management programmes these days. I went to a really good one at the Buddhist centre in Manchester. I learnt meditation there which also helps with the pain... doesn't remove it just helps with attitude and awareness. And I learnt techniques for managing time, energy, etc. It was very supportive and the people running it very understanding and kind.

Over the counter you have paracetamol and codiene combination (lower dose codeine than docs recommend) and ibuprofen. Don't ever take more than recommended of any of these). Ibuprofen has a reputation of flaring lupus although I am OK with it. It can also cause stomach upsets (lining of stomach damaged). I always take tablets with food although it delays action it is better as lupies can get stomach problems more easily than "normal" people.

The doc can prescribe much stronger and better pain control.
Hope this helps
Sara

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone, as usual you've all been really helpful! :)

Stephanie - I had never thought of that way before - I think I'm going to start recording how much pain I'm in everyday, hopefully then I can get the right medication.

·
The one and only
1,978 Posts
Hey Becks...

Before I was able to get to the rheumy, I was using Tylenol Arthritis and that seemed to temporarily do the trick for me.

Hope you get some relief soon!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi there,

Stephanie is correct in that the doc really needs a lot of info on your particular pain problems in order to help you find some meds that will tame it.

There are all sorts of pain, from all sorts of sources. Information you give your doctor on the type and level of pain, how it started and what makes it worse/better, how it affects you and what it stops you doing will go a long way to finding the right drug cocktail.

I am on 1000mg of Naprosyn sustained release anti-inflammatory and two anti-seizure drugs (for nerve pain) every day. I also take an anti-depressant and no doubt that helps a little too, but it's mainly for my lupus induced depression. On other days when I need it I take a combo of codeine and a muscle relaxer, and on the really bad days I have a very strong codeine based drug I take.

Good luck and please make sure you discuss this with your doc. Whilst I have a certain level of pain every day, life is at least more liveable with my current meds.

:hug:

love
Lily

1 - 9 of 9 Posts