The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My eyes are like sandpaper..so dry and red. I am using homeopathics and Thera tears with no preservatives single does, staying out of light, using polarized glasses..they are in a constant flare and i just want to close them and not open again! Anyone..have any suggestions as to what might help? I am on no meds.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I think you should see a eye doctor and get on something prescription strength so that you can get relief. Are you diagnosed with Sjrogens??? I am sorry your dealing with this.. It is very uncomfortable. Let us know how you get along.;););)

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Earthmom,

I suggest you get to an Opthamologist to get your eyes checked asap...in meantime putting in artificial tears sounds like a good thing!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi,

I agree with the others, you will probably need to see an eye doc and get something stronger. You can also get a gel to put in at night. How often are you using the drops, when I first started I had to use them every hour during the day and then the gel at night. It took a couple months on that regime for them to feel better. These days I use them about 3xday + the gel at night and that helps.

love
Lily

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes..i have seen an eye doc. he checked me out and the sight itself is good,but the eyes are like sandpaper he said. He suggested to see the medical doc and gave me non [reservative drops...said that it is a systemic problem. Yes, this i know...the doc has no answers either outside of the drops...the homeopathics seem to help the most but this is down right crazy and uncomfortable. thanks for the suggestions.//o and so far the only possible diagnosis is lupus but?? am waiting for docs.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Sounds like Sjrogens to me and there are prescription drops for that. What kind of eye doctor pawns you off onto a GP for a problem with the eyes?????:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The more people talk of things doctors do the more angry I get.:mad::mad::mad:

I hope you get some relief soon. This must be horrible to have to deal with day in and day out.:wink2:

·
11,410 Posts
Hi Earthmom,
Welcome to the site, first of all.

Just to clear things up here.(I am confused:p) Did you see a optometrist or an ophthalmologist? The later is a MD and that is who you should see about your dry eyes. Not getting your dry eyes taken care of will lead to eye problems. Please make an appointment in the near future.

I know how miserable that dry, scratchy feeling is.

:hug:
Lyn

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Lyn..well, he is an opthalmologist. They did a full eye examination with the machines etc and he showed me on a computer that the eyes were fine as for everything else except for them being like sandpaper..so dry that he did not know how i was functioning. That is when he said that this is a systemic problem and you should see your family doctor to get to the cause. He suggested after hearing my other symptoms that i could noly use Thera tears in the individual packets because they are preservative free. I also got homeopathics...Euphrasia by Weleda which actually have helped the most adn the polarized sunglasses he suggested too. i place the drops in my eyes several times daily and it is very climate related it seems too. If it is windy here...which is all the time;) i can even be indoors and they begin to increase. He also suggested a humidifier but the home we are in has a big dampness problem already so i said no that will not work..we are actually mooving in 3 weeks in part due to the mold etc. So, that is it in a nutshell. I went to the ER yesetrday and after sitting for a couple hours with the kids decided to go home...after hearing that the two ladies near us had been there for 6-9 hours;) and one had still not been seen yet.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I also have terrible eye dryness. My doctor put in lower and upper lid plugs and that has helped me retain some moisture. You may want to try Restasis. It didn't help me, but it has helped others. I really recommend the eye plugs.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi Earthmom

it may be that your eye problems are made worse by a sensitivity / an allergic reaction to the mold in your home. I have asthma and rhiniitis and get lots of eye irritation with mold.

Hopefully things will improve when you move.

Merle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.