The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...hope your all coping well......can someone tell me if pains/aches in the shoulders/ribs and base of back is SLE or fibro?....or both ..:rolleyes: thanks jane:)

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
i al sure your rheumy would tell you if its one or the other or both,
both hurt, fibro not life threatning, sle can be.

good luck Lin xx

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi Jane,
I don't have fibro but have just been diagnosed with mixed connective tissue disease.
I suffer from terrible tightening pain around my ribs and also have alot of roblems with upper body aswell as lower. My mctd does have have symptoms of lupus.
So what i'm trying to say is that it is quite possible it could be connected to lupus and would definately mention this to your doc next time you see him/her.

Take Care

Cassie :)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Are you actually diagnosed with anything?
As a rule the bits that improve on steroids are SLE symptoms. the bits that don't are fibro. but that is only a rough rule which works for me. I find my Lupus much worse than my Fibro. Others are the other way round. Do you have a good Rheumy who can help you with this.?
x Lola

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi..many thanks...yes lola...with sle ....but the meds dont get rid of the pains ect....jane

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have sle and my shoulders ache something terrible, didn't matter how I layed down or sat up in a chair that dull ache was there continuesly so my GP gave me amitriptyline to help the shoulder aches at night as it relaxes the muscles in your shoulders. I have been taking this now for the past 4 years and I know when I don't take it as well as the dull ache comes back and I don't sleep properly with it either.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Jane :)
Have you been diagnosed with fibro? It is often done as part of the testing for lupus because it so often occurs along with but there is only one test, the pressure points one, and it can be very hard to tell whether lupus or fibro is causing the pain, or to make a differential diagnosis in the first place.

http://www.myalgia.com/concurrence_of_lupus_and_fibromy.htm

Response to medications can help to distinguish, either their success or failure to relieve, but the usual treatment for fibro is amitryptiline or similar.

Cassie, such pains and aches in upper arms could be a feature of mysositis too which is a probable component of your MCTD diagnosis.

Jane, how is the hepatitis business progressing these days?

All the best
Clare

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi thank you..clare....i have my biopsy next tues..after they cancelled it then we went on holiday...which was a brill rest...lol....they are testing for AIH..primary bilary..fatty liver....due to fact that they say they have the same symptoms..roughly..No i havent been dx with fibro..they have only checked my elbow joints and i yelled at them:rotfl: coz it hurt...i do get sharp stabbing in my legs...etc...hope your ok....not sure how long results take to get to me..jane

1 - 8 of 8 Posts