TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was first diagnosed, I experienced the typical arthritic pain pattern. I'd wake up sore and stiff in the mornings, then get better as the day wore on. The pain would be completely gone by late afternoon. The pain was also quite symmetrical and did not involve any overt swelling or redness. Anti-inflammatories (prednisone, NSAIDs) were effective.

After my initial flare was brought under control, my arthritis changed. I started to get isolated pain in different parts of my limbs (e.g., wrist, ankle, base of thumb, etc.) that would start very mildly in the late afternoon, worsen dramatically in the evening, then gradually improve during the following day. However, the pain would persist for a few days before being completely gone. This pattern would then continue but with different joints. Unfortunately, attempts at pain control have never been very effective. :sad:

Just wondering what your joint pains are like...:)

·
4,430 Posts
Hiya.. yes I woke up every morning and through the night with sore stiff joints, mainly shoulders, elbows, wrists, fingers though sometimes legs involved too. It usually eased off over the next couple of hours but still had pain all day, sometimes in one side, sometimes in both, many times I couldn't reach up to get stuff out of the cupboard or lift a pan off the hob etc.. sometimes couldn't wash my hair. In fact my right shoulder has not recovered and I don't have the flexibility in it that I did have...... my pains remained pretty much constant until I had a massive flare and was treated with steroids and then started plaq.My pain now is still in shoulders and arms, not so much fingers....but much smaller pain than original. I didn't have that much swelling apart from the fingers and sometimes all over if I had been outside running, messing about with the dog etc..then my ankles swelled up! I didn't have the usual RA swollen joints...but then I am not supposed to have RA!!!!!!!! I am sure we all have differing history, just depends how it grabs the individual... hope that helps XX

·
Registered
212 Posts
I wake up very stiff, general pain all over my body. Takes me about an hour to get out of bed and get showered. It wears off, then I think I'm wonder woman and go running about at work, only to get exhausted and slump in my chair at work, which is the worst thing I can do as I seize up again. Throughout the day I will get random sharp stabbing pains in my feet, particularly my right foot near my big toe (which is making me think gout?) My hands and lower arms aren't painful as such, more numb and tingly. I've also got tingly pain in my neck and shoulders. My feet are incredibly puffy, red and inflamed. Occasionally I get pain like shin splints in my shins, but that comes and goes and seems pretty random.

Then once I get home I literally turn into a 90 year old. By the end of the day I'm so tired and exhausted. Once I sit down, that's it, I just seize up.

I'm new to all this so I'm still trying to work out what my real patterns are and how best to manage it. Generally though I'm finding that although I need rest, when I do my joints seize up.

·
Registered
467 Posts
:wavesmile:hi

my pain started all over, every joint in my body was debilitating pain, most of the joint were swollen especially my knees along with being red and hot. i couldn't move just laid on the sofa crying. thats when my dx was finalized. took awhile to get me stable. now my pain travels. when i wake up its mainly my hips and legs. after i take my meds it will usually calm down. but it rambles from joint to joint. i rarely have no pain, but it pain is low enough that i can deal with it. i know when i'm in a major flare when my knees swell to the size of a grapefruit. doing better now.
so does this sound like a pattern??

be well
hugs and kisses

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
This is a good question as my doctors ask it often. I tell them it is a nice mix of the arthritis pain, immflamed joints, swelling all ove the place, and where is waldo. By that I mean at 7am it could be my back just killing me, by 9am it could be the wrist, and by noon it could be none of them but something else. To which he replies how can I help you with a wondering pain? By the way I hate where is waldo I can never find him lol.

That is what my pains are like but some of the are pretty steady with there company and those would be the back and knee. I hope you are doing better than me these days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi my story is very much like yours at mo i am on plaquanile and 2 months ago started on mycothenolate which has just started to work as am not itching now but still have joint pain on inside of elbow, wrist and today started at back of knee.:(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Ya! Mine Started Out Like Yours , Mornng Stiffness And With Some Activity Would Help. Now , Severe Pain Most Of The Day In All My Joints. Its Kinda Funny It Will Be All On The Left Side 1 Day And Then Switch To The Right. Then Both Sides. Very Seldom Any Swelling But The Pain Is Sometimes Unbearable Even After Pain Meds. I Recently Started Treatment In The Form Of Ultra Sound And Electrical Stimulas. I Go 3x A Week And I'll Tell You After The First Time I Felt A Noticable Change. I Have Only Gone 3x As I Said I Just Started But I Willcontinue To Go . I Finally Feel Like Theres Some Light Shining Through. I Do Hope You Find Someone To Help You! Feel Better Soon And Take Care, Gds77

·
Registered
279 Posts
hi ya

pain travels around my body more on the left side. At worst i felt like i had been hit by a ruck aches everywhere. Burning hot knees, tightness up my shins when flexing. hands swollen and stiff at worst unable to use them. OMG had to squeeze the toothpaste with my knees. Sharp pains in the back of my legs. Everything became too heavy knife and fork plates. Unable to lift a cup of tea, to turn a page of a book was painful. To take a deep breath was impossible just hurt to breathe noticed every breath. Hot and cold at same time dizzyness. Just wanted to sleep all day and night.

OMG making myself feel sad

dixy

·
Registered
44 Posts
:hello:
Hi,

My pain is worse in the am so much so i now take Zydol with my am tablet and get better as the morning goes on. I have timed how long i can do normal everyday stuff before i have to lie down again and it is a max of 5 hrs and then i need the bed again.

My pain is moslty on my left side - hip, ankle and knees (sharp pain in knee at the min). I have been told that i should have pain in both sides but i will always say at appointments that my LEFT SIDE IS MY BAD SIDE AND THATS IT!!

I think once you know what you limits are and how your body deals with stress and everyday stuff then a pattern def comes out.

Jo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts