The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I am new here. I am stil working through the diagnosis, long story but my doc has my on Plaq I just started it March 28th, I am to take 400mg per day. I am slowly increasing up to it and by the end of this week will be on the full dose.

I am taking it for skin involvement non specific skin inflammation. I am wondering what the time frame is for improvement to be seen? I know its a slow working drug but is that more for joints or skin too? Could anyone give me some input as I did not ask the doc. I was just so thrilled someone cared, listened and gave me the option of a drug to help ease my pain

Also nice to meet you all

G

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi G!

You are correct that Plaquenil is a slow-acting drug. You could see improvements in as little as a few weeks, but many people stay on it for six to nine months before they can tell it is working. It took about seven months in my case, and it primarily helped with my joint pain. For others it also helps with skin issues.

Hang in there! With some luck, you might respond fairly quickly to it.

Welcome to the forum!

Terri

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Terri thank you so much.

I was just sort of down thinking maybe I wont be a responder since its not working yet but I keep reminding myself it takes awhile. So its not uncommon for it to take months then? I did not ask my dermatologist because I was so elated to have an "option" for so long I was told there was nothing that could be done or that it was in my head;) Finally someone agreed a problem was occuring and gave me this med after Neurontin and elavil failed to help the pain

Anywho... I know its a long journey for diagnosis. I have so many aches and pains and lupus like symptoms something has to surface soon.

Thanks again for your input Terri

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi,

I can only second what Terri has said. Most people say that plaquenil takes between 6-9 months to work (in some cases full benefit is reached even later). I remember my rheumy being rather over optimistic when she said that it would take about 3 months.

If things are too bad in the meantime there are other options which can be used with plaquenil to provide you relief. These can either be short-term or longer-term depeding on the patient and the severtiy of symptoms.

I hope it kicks in for you sooner rather than later,

Katharine

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi G!
I have been on plaquenil since June of 07. I have to say I am just now starting to feel its effects at 400 mg. I was put on prednisone as well in the interim for skin involvement. My Rheumy has not seen the results as he had hoped (skin still a mess - though not as bad) and has added methotrexate. I agree with the others, I'd say 7-9+ months for benefits.
Hope it works for you!
Gen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts