The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question please.

When I feel a twinge that resemble a lupus pain should I take a pain killer straight away to reduce the chance of it getting worse? Or should I wait a day or 2 to see if the pain goes by itself?

Sorry if this is a silly question!

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
This is only my take but I only take painkillers when it hurts, as in really hurts, twinges don't count for me nor do the "travelling" nerve and tendon pains I get.

On the other hand, if you are in constant pain it is not recommended to let it get out of control and end up in a vicious circle of no sleep from pain etc.

Katharine

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Ditto ((((Katherine)))) - infact the only pain killer I can use is Paracetamol, or a tens unit (so choice is limited!

Lesley

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you ladies :)

I'm so scared after my last flare and the amount of pain I went through (Yes, I am officially a wimp :oops: ) that I just want to nip it in the bud!

This week I had a crook neck, which I am certain was lupus related as I get it very often, so I knocked back a few ibuprofens.

Will try to be a little more sensible in future... and braver :D

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Dont worry about it 'its quite normal' for a man!

Take care!

Lesley

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi Surferboy,

Just to put my 2cents in.

I know I need a painkiller, I'm forced to smile. :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hi Surfer Boy

I understand what you mean about feeling like you are a wimp brcause the pain is to much but as my rhueme said if you get a good night sleep then your pain will be less or you can at least deal with the pain.I really did not want to take them either but sure glad i do know and i am to the point where i dont need the pain pills every day.I sed to take only ibeprofen or how ever you spell it :rotfl:.Take care and you will do the right thing i am sure of it whatever that is(hugs).

Tammy

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Unfortunately, I am one of those people who wait too long to take pain meds and then I become extremely uncomfortable. Then after I take my Lortab, it takes a good 30 minutes for the med to kick in. While I am waiting, I get under my electric blanket, as I have found heat helps. My family gets on me about taking the meds before the pain gets too bad. I have learned at night to take the Lortab when I go to bed as my legs and hips are gonna start in. No, its not restless legs, have checked that out. As for the daytime, well, I don't take right away and well, you know whats gonna happen.

You know your body better than anyone else. If you feel a twinge and know that it won't get any worse then you might want to wait, but if you know that it is gonna start it, then take your pain meds now. It is always better to get ahead of the pain and take control as opposed to having to catch up to it and you having to suffer.

Good luck
Nancy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts