The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Linda
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm crying at the drop of a hat at the moment! I found myself fighting back tears on the bus yesterday for no reason, and I watched that programme last night about women selling their hair for hair extensions & I was bawling!

Also cried today - I think out of frustration!!

Just wondered if it gets anyone else like this?

Lxx

·
Inky
249 Posts
Hi Linda

Yes when flaring I can "boo hoo hoo" at the drop of a hat, anything vaguely sentimental, or a happy ending in a book or film, and drown in tears if it is sad. My partner knows not to be too kind to me when I am like this as I just cry even more :rotfl:

I agree it is probably partly tiredness, maybe a bit of feeling sorry and also I think feeling very vulnerable. And maybe having more empathy for others who are low and in pain. Crying sometimes makes me feel better emotionally but does not do much for my appearance. And it hurts my eyes, they sting.

On that cheery note.... I hope you are a little less weepy when you read this.

Love
Sara

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi Linda,
I get that too. Thought it was just me. But I can cry at the silliest things.
And sometimes seemingly just for nothing. Im lots better but I suppose it is the fact that you have to cope with lots of things and sometimes you do just feel a little sorry for yourself. The fatigue makes me cry sometimes because my brain is active thinking what I should be doing etc. but my body is just not willing. Its very frustrating.
If I see something on tv or read something really happy I sometimes cry too. Not just at sad things.
Im not a depressive type of person either. I try to keep upbeat about things.
Mind you this Lupus stuff could try the patience of a saint at times dont you think.
I usually get over it pretty quick and think.. stupid woman pull yourself together lol.
Thank goodness Lassie isnt on the tv these days. I just couldnt cope with that.
Hope you are ok. Try to keep smiling too.
Take care
Sal x

·
Linda
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Ladies

well, small consolation it's not just me!!

I'm feeling not too bad tonight, one of my best friends, who is also an "ex", and strangely my lodger!! Work that one out if you can - but it works for us, and we get on like Derby & Joan - anyway, he's coming home tonight after a trip to see his folks - and I can't wait to see him! He'll give me a hug & make some inane comment that will make me giggle!

I'm back to the docs on Thursday, so hopefully I'll get some treatment that will drag me out of this fog!!!

Thanks for the kind words - means a lot.

Next time you're on, let me know & we can share a box of Kleenex!

Lxx

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yes:)

As my symotoms improve the tearfulness declines. Its like dark and light.

Whilst personally I see a clear link with symptoms and outward reactions I am also very aware that because of what is going on and all the hurdles that this disease presents can get buried ( some at least) and our grief comes out sideways through something else.

I would like to underline again that its also what is going on in a chemistry sense , despite our feelings.
A mixture basically,

Thats how I have come to understand my reaction.

Nx

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi
I do get very tearful when the fatigue is at its worst and I can't do things and the frustration gets to me. At my worst with the neuro symptoms compounded with joint pain and not being able to see properly I get very emotional. Lately I have burst into tears at work when I couldn't do a particular job.
"Normally" I am level-headed and keep my emotions to myself (I was called "Mrs Spock" in my youth) but the self-control goes out of the window when pain, anger, depression and frustration combine with fatigue. I'm at that stage now when I can be set off by anything.

I'm sure that emotions do play an important part in any chronic illness. Friends with MS go through the same emotional rollercoater.

Love Judi xx

·
Registered
206 Posts
yes, yes yes!!
during a normal conversation i sort of start to well up. i thought maybe i was losing my mind, lol.
nice to know i'm not alone.

lesley

·
Linda
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you all - great words of encouragement!

I've been at it again today - a combination of a short trip in the car to Sainsburys, and then feeling drained for a couple of hours afterward - and watching "The Secret Millionaire" that I taped last night!!

Proper sobbing!!!

I'm just hoping that the doc tomorrow will help!

Have a good day all
Lxx

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi,

I didn't quite know how to answer this at first...which is why I didn't.

My flares tend to go on for a very long time. Months at the very least and I'm usually a pretty bouncy person so my original reaction was "no" but then, I thought again and it is true that on worse days, days of extreme pain, and especially extreme tiredness I do get little "down" spells.

I usually just go quiet in down spells and don't get teary as I actually recognise what's happening and tend to just go somewhere quiet.
As I have a wonderful hubby who is so tuned in to quiet and makes everyone disappear, I don't often get to teary but it does happen and I find myself inexplicably sad for a very short time.

Luckily he also takes that in his stride and it's quickly forgotten for me (unlike when, years back, I used to get yelled at).

sorry that was neither a yes or a no...:lol:

Katharine

·
Registered
391 Posts
LindaMo,
Oh yeah, thats me. And the older I get or the harder the flare I get triggered. I was totally amazed by Katharine's description of her husband as it almost sounds as if we are married to the exact same man! Hope she stops back and reads this! Just know you are not alone, and that a warm hug awaits you at any time you need it!

Michelle

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
:) I hope for you Mamascan that we're married to the same wonderful man.

Rereading my post, it may not be clear that I'm now married to a truly wonderful, loving, caring man...the one that used to yell at me is history!!

Katharine

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Hi Linda, yes i think most of us in flare get weepy, as it makes us very low, cant get on with life the same,

well yes your part of life of course, but its like your detached plodding along on your own, i hope you feel better vry soon,

hugs Lin xxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
123 Posts
How is the tearfulness, Linda?

Yeah I blubbed like a baby at The Secret Millionaire too. It made me really appreciate my mum!
I am sure that my flares are closely linked to my hormones. As I was always teary with pmt then it seemed logical to me that I would be teary when flaring. It never occured to me it could be due to the exhaustion and pain! Doh!

K

·
Registered
549 Posts
hi

add me to list its awfull some times i can not controll it at all
and i do not understand it at the time then i realise its another flare
lets face it being in constant pain its bound to happen
but i get so mad at my self which also does not help
now what i try to do is go with the flow as they say lol
oh thats a ham lol
when i go to docs they just want to put me on anti depression tablets
which i also find anoing dont get me wrong i know they help and sometimes i need them but feel its an easy option for them
so sorry you feel this way its part of it i really don,t like
hope it goes away fast best wishies tink

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I get very teary when I am fed up and feeling sorry for myself but having to suppress my own feelings as one so often has to. Crying for oneself doesn't come easy. For some reason it's much easier to cry about other people's misfortunes or even their joys !

Clare

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm naturally an emotional person, but since the diagnosis it's become worse. I called my sister yesterday to say that I feel like crying and that I have no reason for it........ that then set me off cos I thought 'pull yourself together'.... Also the frustration of feeling 'unwell' is another thing that makes me upset. But you know what I've decided that if I wanna cry, i'm gonna cry and not feel quilty about it!!!!!!!!:):):)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi there,
i am probably weird but i do get the feeling of bursting into tears alot but seem not to allow myself to or just can't.
I don 't know if this is the large amount of opiate pain killers i have to take everyday or just th fear that if i break down that will it and i'll just give up!!
I think i am also trying to be strong for everyone else around me.
I told you i was weird!!!!

Take Care All

Cassie :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am normally a strong willed, rather stoic person. Take things in stride and always look to the bright side. When this illness began I was mystified. Then I was worried. Then I felt sorry for myself. Then I was angry. Almost like the stages of grief, eh? I'm not at acceptance yet - that would be giving in and I'm a long way from that.

I do have teary moments. I also have full blown crying jags. I used to be embarrassed by them. Now I just let them come and have a good cry. Holding in the tears and telling myself to "quit feeling sorry for yourself" only seemed to make things worse. Now I let it go, cry all I want when I need to and tell myself "it's OK, you're angry, you're frustrated, have a good cry and then get on with it."

Crying and laughter - both emotional releases that can and do make a person feel better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts