TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not in that kinda way, I'll have you all know :lol:

But it seems that Parksey and myself are the only men on here.

Now, I know Lupy is supposed to affect more women than men, but surely not only 2 men in the whole wide world :rolleyes:

Not that I don't like the company of women. On the contrary :wink2:8):hehe:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
No no, there are plenty more men but they just "talk" less. Isn't that what you always say - you the men? :rotfl:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Katharine;515490 said:
No no, there are plenty more men but they just "talk" less. Isn't that what you always say - you the men? :rotfl:
PMSL!! yes most guys I know dont like talking about their problems, however, I feel when it comes to your health the more knowledge you can get from fellow lupy's the better!

SO ALL YOU GUYS OUT THERE.... TALK!!! beleive you me when its off your chest & these guys give you excellent advice it is so releiving!

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
:lol: Katherine, my huband would agree with that!

'women talk too much' - is his line - or was it 'women nag too much':rotfl:

Not me of course - as I'm perfect in his opinion! :wink2::rolleyes:

There are more men on this board and very useful they are too with their information and help!

Lesley

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL! My wife says I don't shut up :lol: So guess I am the opposite of most me 8)

And hey Parksey, how you doing, fellow male :)

I agree with you about getting as much knowledge as possible. Right now, I think I'm in a little uncontrolled overdrive. But hopefully will gather control once my head and thoughts settle a little.

And come on all you men. Come and show the women we can give them a run for their money when it comes to chatting :wink2::hehe::)

Edit: Just had a thought - not to be divisive or nothing, but hows about everyone editing their profile to show if they are male or female (unless their username blatantly shows their sex)??? IMHO, and for me at least, it would be good to know if lupy men suffer differently to lupy women. Symptoms, pains etc

·
Registered
36 Posts
Completely forgot about sorting out my profile on here lol, Ive jus been in overdrive mode as well lately with finding out my results & evrything altho yesterday was my 1st bad day,

Muscle aches
Joint Aches
Migranes
loss of appetite
Mood swings (kinda funny cos norm im ded soft)

But yeh guys women will start thinkin they run this forum soon :rotfl: JOKE ladies dont yell at me :p

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Women do run everything! :hehe:
Hehe
Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
36 Posts
OMG I guess there are only 2 guys on this whole forum surferboy, kinda sucks really!

But I guess other male Lupys dnt want to talk about their problems :rotfl:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Greetings Gents.!
Another male here. Been comming to this site for quite awhile....just don't bother with the Men's area much, not much going on here!

-Eric

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Socaleric. Nice to meet you.

And Parksey, we now have 3. I say we watch each others backs from the women who love to ridicule us ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
:hehe:another guy!!!!

Jeez thort there were only 2 of us for a mo then lol, well yeh we got to keep an eye on these women lol! :lol:

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
:innocent: We're pretty harmless :hehe: well most of the time anyway :rotfl:

love
Lily

·
Registered
36 Posts
:hehe: women are pretty harmless most of the time, but there seriously needs to be more male Lupys out there, I dont know what the stats are for men with Lupus but surely it cant be that different to women, can it?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
It is very different! One man for every ten women. I am sure that's one reason so few men participate - the idea of having a "woman's disease".
It's probably one reason why men often aren't diagnosed promptly and I am quite convinced it's a major reason why there is so little awareness of lupus.

I think men don't talk so readily about their health problems. They expect to be well, fit and strong all the time whereas women are used to dealing with their hormonal changes and having children and comparing notes with other women.

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
250 Posts
Parksey, you need to do some research! As Claire said, it's about 90% women. I know when I was diagnosed I was kinda in the same boat, I had NO idea what Lupus was, and this was a bit before the internet made finding info easy. My GP left me a message on my answering machine, "I've diagnosed you with Lupus". Had to call my Mom, who I knew had a medical dictionary, to find out what Lupus was. I went to one support group meeting in my area....all women other than I. VERY nice people, but I felt a bit outta place, and I don't think they were quite used to a guy being there! Boy, that was a long time ago. When I think back on the trust I had to give my Doc.. I started chemo just a few weeks after I was diagnosed (after a 24hr urine and Kidney biopsy) and still had no real knowlege of what Lupus was and some of the books I had read were a bit out of date, so they scared me. These message boards are great, I would've loved to have been able to chat with people who had gone through chemo before I had to do it. I was very lucky to get a Rumy that was awsome (still see him today.....I dumped the GP, who had treated me like a hypochondriac for years!) and did everything right.

-Eric

·
Old Timer
1,599 Posts
Welcome surferboy and Parkesy.

Where are the men? They are around, just coping for the most part I'm sure. Some may have major issues to deal with, others just taking one day at a time. It's probably true most men aren't very chatty, although we did have 4 of us in chat one time. :lol:

Don't ever forget that women are smarter than men, just ask one. :wink2: Actually many of the women on here are way smarter than I am and the mods here never cease to amaze me. You can learn a lot here from everyone and personal experiences are very helpful. Gender doesn't make a big difference in how Lupus affects us except for a few obvious exceptions like having babies and hormonal swings, although men have them too (Hormonal swings that is). :bigsmile:

I'm not around as much as I used to be, I'm dealing with major issues myself. I hope you enjoy this site as much as I have over the years, the members here have helped me through so much. Take care and see you around.....

Eric: It's sad you couldn't have been more informed by your DX doctor. I can only imagine your worries and glad it's all behind you. I hope you are doing well these days. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey Tom!
Good to see ya here again, noticed ya hadn't been around in a bit. Sorry to hear you having troubles, hope things clear up for you! I know how it is when your not feeling well, ya kinda lose touch, don't feel like sitting at the computer. Heck ,ya don't feel like doing ANYTHING!
What area of Washington are you in? I was just up there in May visiting my Mom and Sister (they're in Port Ludlow, across the sound from Seattle). Did a Alliance for Lupus Research walk at Alki Beach with them one Sunday morning. Got some pics of it in my profile if ya wana check it out. I'll be doing a walk with the same organization when they're down here in Nov.

Best Wishes,
Eric

and yeah, my DX Doc. was a pain, but it's a very common Lupie story. Did get a bit of revenge, gave him a piece of my mind and dumped him like a barrel of toxic waste!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi yeh I know I am doing a **** of alot of research on Lupus & the drugs used in treatment, kinda baffling, have to read things 3/4 times because there is so much info lol

Yeh i know the ratio for women:men etc thats one thing that amazes me even more,

Yeh in SOME cases women r smarter thn men but nt at evrythin:rotfl:

·
Old Timer
1,599 Posts
Thanks Eric, :)

I guess that makes us even. We passed Torrence on our way to Karen house last summer (I think it was last summer :(). Port Ludlow is about 3 hours north of me, very pretty place. I had a friend that lived there with many stories to tell. :lol: It's a kick back kind of place. I take it you're from this area? Things have changed a lot in the last 5-10 years for sure.

You dumped your doc in a barrel of toxic waste? Now he probably has super powers. :p Ooooh, you dumped him LIKE a barrel of toxic waste! We are safe then. :hehe: Take care...

·
Stay Positive
79 Posts
Thought I should make it 4... :rotfl:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts