TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone yet again, it must be my month to whine or have problems which ever it is. Yesterday when I was at work my boss came in and told the staff that no one but Carmen (a housekeeper that had a car accident about a month ago) could park in the handicap parking spots (she has no plate to do this by the way). These spots are for guests no employees. I told her I have a handicap parking plate and have a right to park there. She said no you don't, to which I replied go check my front window in the car. Tonight I parked in the handicap again (with my plate displayed). She came into work tonight just to tell me she had told me yesterday no one but that one housekeeper is to park in those spots other than guests. I parked there because for one my doctor says I need to and for the other, it was very cold tonight and my joints are really hurting. I don't believe she can do this. I am not sure who to talk to about this, usually she is pretty good about things like this with me. I didn't say anything when she upped my hours to 40 every week (even though my gp told me no more than 24-32 hours a week right now) when she found out she had to have surgery March 31. I don't understand the change in her attitude. I am getting to tired to keep fighting with all these people. I am doing my best without whining but this is going to cost me my health if I don't start doing something about all this crap (sorry for that). I have to say I am pretty hot about all of this right now to the point I would rather just stop working. Again I am so sorry for whining but I am getting so tired and no one seems to understand but this site. I am not even sure I can work 40 hours any more, if my gp finds out my hours got upped I am not sure what she will do. I just don't know what to do about all of this my head is spinning and I am extremely fatigued right now. I can't seem to get my energy back no matter what I do.

Well thanks for listening or reading my post and no even with the whine I don't feel better, but that is okay as I got it off my chest anyway.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Tammy,
If there is no one above the supervisor, then you need to contact Human Resources about this. Have EVERYTHING documented, who said what, who did what..... and talk to them about the parking issue. Then, find out what their interpretation is for the # of hours you are to work/not work in the week. Again, you need a accurate documentation of what was EXACTLY said by you and her exact reply. Nothing on "interpretation", you want every conversation documented. Then, I would wait for their reply.

If you can't get anywhere within your company, then it is time to pull in the big guns and ask the state Attorney General's office how to proceed. They MUST operate within the federal laws, like it or not. You may be dealing with a situation where the employer is trying to weed down and given any opportunity may try to lower their medical overhead. That is why it is so important that you have verbatim documentation of all discussions on this issue. But, they need to know that violations of the ADA will be dealt with seriously. That is why you want the state AG's office to give you a interpretation of how that applies to you, your job and duties.

I wish you well with this.
Sally

·
Administrator
7,565 Posts
Hi Tammy

Sorry that you are having such a rubbish time. Sounds like your boss is being a right pain at the moment, would it be possible for your gp to write to your boss to explain about your hours and the parking? I know you shouldnt have to do that, just wondered if it would help. Hope things get better for you.

Big hugs

Deb

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hello Tammy, This is obnoxious behaviour by your boss. I do not know the Disability laws in your country, but others have given you good advice I am sure.

Is there any chance at all that your Boss is trying to force you out of a job?
Have a restful weekend.
x Lola

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Deb,Lola, and Sally,
Thank you for your advise, I have never had this problem from my boss. I am getting the feeling that she is trying to get me quit as when I had to drop hours she asked me if I was going to file for disability yet? I have given my all to this company as I do any place I work. I have always been a workaholic and lupus has not changed that at all. I hate the idea of bring in someone outside the company to help but I will not be treated this way. Again Thank you

·
Administrator
7,565 Posts
Tammy

Good for you!!!! You go girl!!!!

Take care

Deb

·
Registered
580 Posts
onetay, you know how they say "theres always a bad apple" i truely believe that phrase its so true. everywhere i worked there was always a bad apple or even a couple. when people are not happy with their own lives they resort on taking it out on others. i mimic what Pinkpearl said speak to human resources about what is going on. get a doctors letter. do whatever it take to get what you deserve. you have rights so dont give into what your supervisor is saying because if the housekeeper can park there because she had an accident so can you because of your health issues. thats right do not let them treat you this way you are no less than anybody else.

its ashame that even if youve been loyal to the company for so long, it really doesnt matter to them. alot of them are the same way. good luck:)

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Hi Tammy,

Sorry to hear your boss is making things difficult for you.

Does this other person realize that by parking in the handicap spot she could be fined if she does not have the appropriate tag? Any guest needing the spot could report her to the police. In my previous employment customers would actually block the persons car until the police arrived. It was a hefty $350 fine for each occurrence.

When my company was downsizing they decided I was going to be transferred to another town. There was no way I could handle an hour commute since I was unable to drive at the time and there was no transit system available. My HR administrator said I needed to have a note from my doctor saying I needed special consideration due to medical issues permanently in my file. My doctor included any restriction he thought might be necessary. Once I had the note the transfer became an HR issue. No way did they want to have an ADA hassle and I wasn't transferred. I suggest you find out if something like that would be beneficial for you.

Another possibility would be having a parking space with a reserved sign on it for either you or the other girl. Companies put out cones or tent signs to reserve parking for employees of the month or winners of contests all the time.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:
My boss has changed her mind and said no one can park there but guests. I think it had something to do with the call I made monday to her boss. I did it when she was right in front of me so she would know that I was not going to let her break the laws. She is pretty much back to herself. I guess all the worry was for nothing. I am still working the 40 hours while she has surgery but she did say if I found I could not handle it, for me to schedule anyone that was not on 40 hours for the extra shifts I can not do. She also said that while she was gone she wanted at least 8 hours of office work a week, I could do it all in one day or spread it out over the week. She said she did not want any trouble so she is giving me the hotel while she is out. I guess she wondered who would stand up to her? I did not want this and told her that I did not think it was a good idea but she said it was her and her boss that made the choice who would be in charge of the hotel while she was out. How do I keep getting into these messes?
Thanks for all the advise and hopefully I will not be posting for while as I am getting tired of all the ups and downs of everything lol.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Tammy,
I am sorry that you are battling this junk. Your supervisor does not have the right to tell you that you cannot use a handicap slot IF you have a disabled permit. They can assign a separate one to you with a "handicap employees only" but they cannot block you from using a disabled slot with a permit.

I wonder what else the manager said to your supervisor that didn't make it to you. Perhaps others complained about her attitude. It would not surprise me.

Good luck and I hope that things settle down for you.
Sally

·
Registered
631 Posts
who does this woman think she is?
I would continue to park in the disabled spaces as it is your right!!! If she continues to have a problem with this, point out that a law suit will be very expensive and damaging to the company!

Good luck, I hope things get better soon.

Elle x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts