TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone suffer from a white coating on their tongue? I have had it for ages and feel conscious that my breath is bad. I read somewhere that it is a symptom of Lupus. I have my teeth checked regularly, so know it's not that and according to my GP it is not oral thrush (apparently the coating would be thicker). He suggested using a tongue scraper, but that doesn't work and also drinking lots of water, which I do and although that lessens it for a while, the whiteness still comes back!

If anyone else suffers with this I would be grateful to hear of any cures.

Frances:eek:

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Frances,

Sorry I have no cures, I just live with it :(

I have frequent dental checkups and I don't have bad breath apparently.

My thrush is fairly well controlled lately but I do think it's a contributing factor, along with just what this silly disease brings with it. I have been thinking about trying those one dose oral thrush treatments to see if it makes any difference to my tongue. Or maybe even start up my pro-biotics again.

love
Lily

love
Lily

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a constant low level of thrush at both ends, and find it keeps fairly much under control by taking acidophilus capsules (I take two a day - recommended is 2-4) plus a serve of probiotic yoghurt every day. I did try that one tablet thrush treatment (name was something like fluconazole I think) after a lot of antibiotics recently. It seemed to work fairly quickly but the effect didn't last. I've also had a sticky medicine stuff for oral thrush that made it feel better quickly - you kind of swilled it around in your mouth, and then swallowed it.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
oh same here and its driving me mad !

I do the capsules too cemc and the yogurt thing for breakfast everyday...two weeks ago i also had the one tablet which cured it wonderfully...thing is after a few days it appeared again...

I have also had the Nystatin which is yellow and tastes very nice lol...they also do like a lozenger but it makes my tongue sore..

it must be a lupie thing ?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Frances,

Google "Geographic Tongue" and see if this is what yours looks like. My daughter was born with it. Her tongue is solid wide most of the time and other times it's white and pink.

For years I thought I burnt it with hot formula until an oral surgeon seen it and told me what it was. She was having her wisdom teeth removed at the time. If that's what you think it is, read up on it, it's very interesting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi, I am also getting over a time with this white coating on my tounge. Although mine started white, it turned brown from drinking coffee, I guess, and it seem almost hairy. I felt like crying some days.
I was wondering about it being a Lupus thing, I get it often too. Like an infection.:sad:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Since you mentioned it

Hmmm! Come to think of it, I too have suffered the white tongue thing several times over the years. Sometimes it went into thrush and I would have the white hairy monster sitting on my tongue. Then after taking meds it would go away. But still have seen it in a milder form that was not thrush. I have been a smoker with my lupus too and often wondered if it was the cigarettes causing it! Quite possible if you smoke that could be the culprit! Nice meeting you! I'm a newbie in here but have had Lupus diagnoses since 1993

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi Frances,
yes me too.

I ahve been treated for oral thrush once at the back of my tongue, but the white tongue thing is different. My tongue also feels strange, like dry and rough, not sure if the 2 things are connected?

Cassie

·
Registered
180 Posts
Me too.

And I also feel conscious about my breath, despite brushing my tongue two to three times a day and flossing daily... I´m desperate. Is it a lupus thing? When I go for my dental check-ups, my dentist always says it´s fairly common to have a white tongue but I´m not convinced. Perhaps I am too paranoid about it (in general, I´m very paranoid about smells).

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Christine I was just wondering where I can get the capsules from? g.p or chemist ? I have had a white tongue for 4 weeks, not a clue what it is, maybe something worth trying, to see if it would help.

Thanks

Sheila :)

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Hi everyone...

well seems its common in people with immune problems...also with me being on chemo i am at super risk...

They ahve given me something called Fluconazole...its amazing...

its gp prescribed only and i have to take one tablet every 5 days...i would imagine once the chemo is finished in aug i will just have it when needed...

now seems thrush normally goes all the way through you if you get my meaning !!! this i have is just oral...

its a 150 mg capsule..

hope this helps x x

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Thanks Chris for your reply. Maybe I should see my G.P...

Thanks Again Sheila :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Frances,

I too have white tongue and have had it for about a year. I have been treated for oral thrush but it wasn't that. My doctor told me it is one of those things that you get with lupus and the medications and there is really nothing that can be done. Just brush your tongue and visit the dentist. My dentist really says there is nothing that can be done; it is from the medications, dry mouth and so on. It is ugly to look at and when you drink or eat certain things it gets worse and turns funny colors. My doctor also said since I suffer from dry mouth it makes the problem worse. My dentist told me SLE patients with dry mouth have problems with tooth decay but it is not normal tooth decay, it gets under fillings in your teeth and causes decay that isn’t noticed until it is to late, you risk the chance of loosing the tooth or having major work done. Sorry I have no cure for your white tongue, if you find one let me know!

Stacie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts