The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question was inspired by my neice Hannah who loves all the scary animals.

I have had several strange encounters with animals so I will list them here:

When I was a kid we had a barn owl in our garage who liked to sit on our metal shelves.:hehe:

I held and played with a baby Black Bear named BOO BOO.:rotfl:

I had a pet ferret (before they were popular here in the US) Named Streudal.:p

I also had a pet Pirrhana never had any trouble putting my hand in the tank.:rolleyes:

Petted a reindeer (caribou):)

I have a habit of rescuing huge (25-45pounds) snapping turtles from the middle of streets and bridges and relocating them to a better stream.:eek:

Also save snakes from the lawn mower when I am mowing, little ones, then a big black snake from my grandma's porch about six feet long.;)

Also saved two box turtles from being run over on two seperate roads....they're so slow I just put them where they seemed to be headed...

Spent childhood catching and releasing frogs, toads, and crawdads/crayfish sort of like a little lobster......

Petted a buffalo....

As you might be able to tell I love animals, even the scary ones! Has anyone else had any close encounters?

Karly

·
Registered
163 Posts
I live in the mountains so we see lots of wild life. Every thing from black bears to deer have been in my yard.

I went out one morning right after sun up to enjoy the quiteness of the day and our dog stuck his head under the lounge chair I was sitting on and jumped back and began to whimper. I got up and bent down to look under it to see what had him so upset. A little snake was coiled up and sticking his tongue out. I went all to pieces...shaking, crying, carrying on like it was 6 feet long but it wasn't much bigger than a worm!

My neighbor was sitting on his porch and he came over a killed it. I was so shaken up that I couldn't sit on my patio for a long time.

Not even the bears that come into my yard frighten me that much!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Karly,

I don't remember any unusual animal stories except the occasional dof bites when I was a kid. My daughter Brit on the other hand had an "unusual" story. Evidentlyone afternoon when I was at work, she was outside with her grandfather and her dad. We lived way out in the country so we had very little traffic. Anyway, when her dad and grandpa walked around the side of the house and found Brit pushing the swing. They walked towards Brit only to see that what she was pushing on the swing was not one of her dolls, but a dead rabbit that she picked up out of the road.

Now everyone say it all together: EEWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Nancy

·
Registered
154 Posts
spent alot of tiem in nature but 2 adventures stand out:

walking along a nature trail we came across a snake in a tree trying to get to little chicks in a nest. mama bird was flying at different angles "biting" it. this went on for almost 20min until the snake eventually lost it's grip and fell out of the tree... we ran rapidly in the oppostite direction.

Group of us went to an elephant park and were a little disappointed to only see ostrich (running along side the car, looked very funny) buffalo and a giraafe until we got near the exit... there was an elephant in outr path flapping its ears and then decided to storm the car. with no where to turn (you could only go straight or back on the path) we put the car in reverse and had to go backward all the way to the entrance. we missed the closing time and were locked in! had to climb the fence, walk a good few km to the office to get someone to open the gate.

·
Registered
642 Posts
On holiday in a small caribbean island, staying with my cousin.
We were bumping down a dirt track when a mongoose ran across in front of us.
My cousin says that a mongoose is bad luck and if one crosses your path you should turn around and spit on the ground.
Of course being in a truck we couldn't do this.
On the way home...........the plane coming in bounced on the runway:( and broke its hydraulic system so we were delayed for thirty six hours:worried: ...........the flight then had to stop over for four hours in Tobago.:eek:
It was the most turbulent flight we ever experienced.:eek: :eek:
To this day my son blames that mongoose

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had a terrrible encounter with a goat, I was helping my husbands family get his parents house cleaned up before they got back from a 2 yr job in Singapor (sp) and we were unloading a ride on lawn mower well...up comes this goat and I thought it was going to be friendly, YEAH RIGHT?!?! it starts attacking me I mean its biting at me, hooving at me it was scaring well my husband (who was my fiancee at the time) picked the goat up by the neck and carried it off across the street to its home, I still get teased about it 12 yrs later:mad:

Then...when I was 12 I was with my best friend at the time who had a horse we were walking it and somehow I got behind, well my friend started to say something and soon enough I was kicked in the stomach:eek: She then said I was trying to tell you Don't walk behind the horse because it will kick you!!
Jeeze thanks alot maybe that should have been said BEFORE the walk, now I can laugh about it, but who knows maybe that adds to my stomach problems I never thought about that before:rolleyes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a terrible encounter as a child. My dad was driving us to my grandparents when we noticed 2 baby ducklings ahead on the road. My love of animals caused me to order my dad to stop the car so that I could rescue them and return them to the nearby pond in the park. By the time I got out of the car and was walking back to get them........A big bus swerved to avoid them! (Phew!) and then a stupid boy racer swerved to run over the pair of them! Splat!! As a 9 yr old I was devastated that my mission failed and to this day I have never (and will never) eat duck.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Poor little ducks, I totally understand that only with me it was someone who served and killed a possum, I know not as cute, but it was more ****** and gory, more than any slasher film. I had tried to get out a help it but it was way too late.:mad:

The goat story reminded me of when I went horseback riding with a friend and there was this male goat in the pasture, ANDY, and every time we wanted the horse we had to feed him crackers, well we only discovered that after he repeatedly stood up on his hind feet and slammed his horns into my side....he was mean, then he chased the horses away. Karly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts