The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Linda
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been off work for ONE WEEK - after several weeks of being quite ill, and trying to explain to my boss why I was feeling so bad.

Today, whilst I had gone for a walk/coffee (trying to keep myself active & social) she rang & left a message asking me to call her. I did so within an hour, and there was no answer. I tried again an hour later & spoke to her, she was cool with me, got the info she needed & nothing else (i.e no "how are you")

I then checked my emails, and there was a message from the HR Director saying that they were taking my "unavailablity" very seriously, as I have not responded to the phone message!!!!

I had spoken to my boss within 2 hours of her leaving the message - and if she had been at her desk when I first rang, it would have been within an hour!

I've been sitting here in tears, feeling about as low as someone can feel! Nobody deserves this treatment!

Lxx

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I used to work for the HR departmentof a big company, all I can say is this is common behavior when they are documenting an employee for an action of some sort (termination, job reduction, pay reduction, etc).

Here is my recommendation:

Document everything, keep a log...
1. Get a note from your doctor when you are out ill even if its for one day. Provide a copy to Boss and HR.
2. Note times of phone messages and calls, leave voice messages when you do not reach them and note that too. If you cannot reach by voicemail leave a not on the desk with a date and time, keep a copy for file).
3. Print all emails regarding absenteeism and quality of work (good or bad). Keep a copy of your responses to these emails.
4. Document any meeting you have with manager or HR
5. Request a meeting with HR to discuss how you can address managements fears about your ability to perform your job. Create a plan and follow it.
6. Talk to HR about your condition, and perhaps provide some data from the Lupus Organization. Perhaps they just don't realize how this disease affects you.

If you do this, and they still take any action against you, you will have the support documentation to protect yourself. Its very sad when an employer takes this route with a valued employee just beacuse they do not understand the illness.

Remain calm, do not do anything rash, you are not the one in the wrong.

Good Luck - Stephanie

·
Linda
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Stephanie - I'm doing all of that - because my dept IS the HR Department! These are my HR colleagues behaving like this!

I feel traumatised by their behaviour!

I'm trying to get hold of my Trade Union at the moment - if not I will go for a solicitor!

Thanks for your kind words :)

Lxx

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Linda, just wanted to send you ((((((hugs))))). It's bad enough feeling lousy without being made to feel like you're doing something wrong, when you're trying to do what's right!!!! I hope you feel better soon, Mary Mc

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey Linda

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this, even worse when you are feeling pretty pants too! Not very helpful! This must be a very worrying time right now! So sending you big hugs.

My last employer was a bit of a moo at times and I got worse after I had 8 weeks off for a prolapsed disc! She was very dismissive of me I even overheard her slagging me off to the other nurse one day, saying I was lazy and useless. Made me feel really great about myself (NOT). At the time I did not know why I was feeling so poorly, tired, brain dead and stuff.

I moved jobs and my present bosses have been much more understanding, but I have tried to be open with them too. Now I have reduced my hours and they make sure I look after myself! There are some nice employers out there. I hope that everything goes ok for you and will be keeping my fingers crossed. Keep us informed!

Please take care of yourself and know that you are not at fault here! Hope you are feeling better soon.

Claire

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry your employer is being such a pain :(
I have found the CAB really really supportive and helpful with my employer challenges so I would suggest trying to get to see them.
Also make sure that you do start keeping notes of everything. I use a diary and just note in anything that happens on that day. - 1 of the comments I got at my grievance hearing was that as my notes were written after the meeting and my boss wrote hers during then hers must be more reliable! Since then I write down eveything!!!

I am sure you know far more than I do about employment law (although I am learning fast!!!) but isn't phoning you at home when you are ill classed as harrassment?

Hope things look up soon.
K

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Linda,

Sorry your being treated this way and I for one know so well how you feel.

Stephanies advice is worth its weight in gold.

This happened to me and I was forced out of my job and landed on SSD.

That being said I also just won a Civil Suit that I placed against my employer through Civil rights and the EEOC.

When I picked up my check I shook the hand of the HR Director, and thanked him for his ignorance and for not accommodating my disability. He was pissed!

With in the next year I will be settling another suit which I am going to win and win big.

Do NOT allow them to harass you or discriminate against you in any way. If they do then there are agencies out there to help you.

I am on your side and they are just ignorant. Keep us posted and good luck.:wink2:

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Most employers don't understand this disease at all and most hr people don't either. Make sure you have a doctors note. I know it sounds childish but just remember to cover you own butt. That is what my boss told me from day one. They are in business not in friendships. I know it sounds bad but don't feel bad you are doing things right and have nothing to feel bad about you are one that is ill even if they don't see it. Keep your chin up and keep them up to date on your condition.
onetay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts