TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone can tell me why the Cellcept seems to be working (and quickly) when the imuran did not. I thought these two drusgs were similiar (?) Of course I still have imuran in my system so I am getting a double dose right now.
Laker

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
HI Laker,

I am not really sure why the cellcept is doing the job for you when Aza didn't, but

Yeah-Congratulations!!!

I guess the specifics of how they alter the immune system are slightly different, and that the cellcept is better targeting where your problem is, but that is just my hunch.

When do you go back to the rehumy for assessment and blood tests? I hope for you that he is thrilled about improvements too:blush::blush::blush:

X C X

PS when I worked on the renal transplant ward patients were quite often switched from one immunosupression regime to another if the first wasn't working optimally, usually with positive results, so I guess it is relatively common that one person responds better to one drug than another. We are complex beings:wink2:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I go back to the dr in 6 months, but have some lab work next week. I am supposed to call to let her know how I am doing. It will be great to finally have something positive to report! Even my brain is working better now and I am doing better at work. I am sooo excited! :)
Laker

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Laker, this is wonderful news ! :)

The treatment of lupus will be transformed when they discover why medicines work better for some people and some aspects of lupus than for other people. with the same or different sorts of lupus. Or of course who is at greater risk of unacceptable side effects.

It could be something like genetic make up. Look how differently lupus expresses itself in each of us

I think they now have a test before starting on Imuran that can indicate who isn't likely to respond well, meaning it might be better to try another drug or combination rather than waste time with the AZA. It's known that Plaquenil is less effective for smokers.

Anyway time to rejoice and cross fingers that no clinical side effects show up

Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

I know absolutely nothing about this but I am so glad that it is working for you. It's lovely to hear good news :)

Katharine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts