The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my Lupus started about 6 years ago, I have not felt well. Seems my life changed, I had to leave my job. The pain, fatigue, stomach issues, headaches, and many more symptoms control how I live each day. Plaquenil helped with the fatigue but the pain is overwhelming especially in the evenings. Does Lupus ever go away? They say it hits women/men in child bearing age so does it go away when we r in menopause?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
The answer is that it varies for everyone... certainly there are many people that get on medication and have nearly no symptoms. Then there are others that try every medication and get no help at all. And then there's others who lie in the middle of those two extremes - probably the majority.

I have some improvement on Plaquenil, pain medications really don't do much for me or I can't take them due to side effects. By the evening hours the pain gets much worse for me too. There are reports that some women do feel better when they hit menopause but I get the feeling they are in the minority. Otherwise, you'd be hearing of lots of us getting surgical/chemical menopause as a treatment for lupus!

It was good to hear from you again, but sad to hear that you're not much better and seem to be feeling down. I'm guessing you've tried all the medications that seem warranted for you & haven't found much improvement? There are a lot of options out there for NSAID's, other pain medication options, and quite the variety of medications to treat lupus itself too these days.

Good luck and take care. (((hugs)))

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello there,

I'm sorry to hear that things haven't really improved much for you over those 6 years. I'm sure that even when we are coping at our very best there's not one of us who doesn't occasionally glace back wistfully at before...

I have no idea on the menopause question but had heard that too. On the other hand, wome women have early menopause because of lupus, so, for them at least it doesn't seem true.

I know that for my Mum, who has dermatomyositis and lupus, she has seen a relatively big improvement over the last few years but that is quite a few years after the menopause. She is now 70 and I have to say it was a shock for me on a recent visit to see how much more energy she has than I do for the moment.

I suppose that no-one really knows, it's all part and parcel of the frustrating unpredictability of the disease.

hugs to you and here's hoping that you do get a nice good long spell of feeling a bit better :hug:

Katharine

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I was told by Dr. D'Cruz that one third of women improve at menopause, a thired get worse and a third stay the same.
Rather than putting your hopes on the menopause is there any chance of any other medication. many of us need quite a cocktail.
You have my sympathy for what it's worth!
x Lola

1 - 4 of 4 Posts