The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i'm kate i'm 44...i've been suffering with various symptoms of "lupus" for 4 years..the docs dont seem to be putting all the various "unrelated" visits to the docs together and getting a diagnosis...
first it was cfs then carpal tunnel syndrome then tendonitus, repetitive strain injury and now my most recent fibromyalga...good grief! is it just the norm for doctors to just treat the symptom your presenting with at the time rather than look at your ****** notes?!! i've seen 2 diff docs over the last 3 wks and not one of them have even given me a brief physical exam..they prob think i've got the lurgy!:lol:..any way after looking on the internet and finding this wonderful site i'm relieved to see its nothing personnal with the docs. thing is tho how can I be sure i have lupus? the symptoms do fit cfs and fibromyalga all be it with the little extras like itchy skin, waking in the night for a pee 2 or 3 times, swelling in my lower legs and feet, headaches that nothing will shift, tiredness and the bouts of bad wind..i can compete with my teenage son with this! My thyroid has gone mad too..i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism back in 2005 my readings as i remember it (although thats foggy at times) were only at 8..now after taking my thyroxin at a dose of 225mg per day for all those years and not having a problem its upto 31..is this unrelated or just another symptom of lupus?? i must admit i'm starting to feel like a hyprocondriac..oooh this hurts and that aches and dont forget this..thank god i've got a bloke who takes it in his stride and makes me a cuppa eventho i'm a walking desaster area! what do i do now? how do i tackle my new gp and get the refurral i need to get my diagnosis or at least an answer?

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
:welcome:Kate some of us have been ill for years but have not had a diagnosis.First time i seen the rhumy he was not sure what it was then the next time i went to him he said you have lupus.I was releived to have a name for all the symtoms that come with lupus.So i would ask your doctor to send you to see a rhumy he can only say yes or no tell him that you have been looking up your symtoms and this is what you have come up with on your own
.Good Luck elisabeth

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Hi Kate,

Welcome to the site.

Doctors tend to only look at the immediate problem you are in for at the time. That was one of the problems for me when I was repeatedly presenting myself at their doorstep. Also GP's tend to only recognize Lupus if it is a textbook case and even then it is missed.

Ask your new GP if he thinks something autoimmune might be going on? Don't say Lupus or you were researching on the internet, docs hate the idea of self diagnosis. A request to test your ANA would be appropriate.

Many of your symptoms may be due to your thyroid being out of balance. You should push for a referral to see an endocrinologist. Once the thyroid problem is taken care of the residual symptoms can be investigated.

I wish you luck with your new GP.

Take care,
Lazylegs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.